Windows 10 Upgrade??

kmmcrafts

Anyone done the free upgrade from windows 7 to the new windows 10? I was wondering if it was going to effect any of the pattern making programs.. mainly I use Corel Draw III and gimp.. I have the update downloaded and all but have yet to install it due to worries about my programs..

Kevin

I reserved it sometime back than got nervous and cancelled.  Now I have reserved it again.  Most things I have read from people that have upgraded say they have had no problem with it interfacing with their other software.  I do not know about the ones you mentioned though.

Why don't you go ahead and let us know..... :roll::lol:

I'm waiting for my free upgrade. ;)

It may have already downloaded... I didn't know mine had downloaded until I clicked on the windows icon down in my toolbar.. when I did that it said it was ready to be installed and I could schedule a time to do so or just do it manually.. I been waiting to see how people are liking it.. So far I have heard good things about it.. 

Anyone done the free upgrade from windows 7 to the new windows 10? I was wondering if it was going to effect any of the pattern making programs.. mainly I use Corel Draw III and gimp.. I have the update downloaded and all but have yet to install it due to worries about my programs..

Kevin

I have done this upgrade on 2 of my 3 computers with few issues.  Check with the different program websites to see if there have been any significant issues with them on WIN10.  My main computer has the upgrade available but has an activation issue ( the computer was remanufactured ) and can not do the automatic upgrade.  I am currently unwilling to pay $119.99 to get the product key so that I can do the upgrade.  I have a while yet before I have to make that decision.  From what I have seen so far WIN10 should work fine although you might have to chase down an odd driver or two, typical issue stuff.  It does get some getting used to and it WILL make IE the main browser until you change that.  Hope this helps.

DW

One thing I have read, if you are worried about privacy/security, do not do the "Express" upgrade.  Do the manual one and it gives you options on what you want Microsoft and the Fed so easily have access to. 

Definitely do not use the express.  Express allows both Microsoft and to anyone else that Microsoft sells the personal information that it collects, Name, email, what sites you go to , your credit card information, your "secure" login information - ie user name and password, etc.,  So please use the custom in install so that you can limit the amount of personal data that you give out.

DW 

Just got notified my upgrade is ready.  Anyone know how long the process takes?

An hour plus my son downloaded it two days ago and he seems to be happy with it. I'm still waiting.......................Oh and it keeps rebooting the system about three times so don't think it has jammed up.

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I got my update last week. Installing was not a problem, alltough it took long.

It looked very well and worked fine.

But then I wanted to print something; the computer kept asking me how to safe the document, but didn't print anything.

I tried it several times but it still didn't work.

I went back to windows 7 and now everything works again as it should.

Don't know yet what I will do in future.

Installed it on my laptop which was win8.1    No real issues, and took a little over an hour.  Waiting on the win7 PC for a little while just to make sure its as stable as I need it to be.  IE will not be the browser....the new EDGE Browser takes a little getting used to, and certain settings aren't easy to fine, but after a few searches on the web, I found what I needed.  Also, the have "Cortina" which is similar to Apples Siri,  I disabled it once I found that it collects a lot of info about your searches and such in order to narrow down what you see to be more relevant.  I don't need Microsoft knowing that much bout me.

Well I've force downloaded it to my Win7 system old laptop took 5 hours to complete but I must admit I like it. Turned off Cortana and switch of all info and feedback to windows in the settings. Couldn't print at first so went to printer reset as default printer and it worked,Don't seem to be able to open jpeg's in PHOTOSHOP as default yet but can open direct from Photoshop I used to be able to right click on photo and tell to open in Photoshop but can get to EXE file of Photoshop looks like a bit of training to do. Won't put it on my new laptop until I iron out a few issues. Happy Days :lol: Roly 

Bit the bullet yesterday and spent a little over an hour getting it installed.  Not sure yet whether I like it or not as still hunting for some things.  Was used to going to the bottom left and finding games and having a game of hearts before bed but still haven't found it.  It also removed my gmail from the menu so have access it through Google home page.  Oh, for the days when you found something you liked and could stick with it.

Well I've force downloaded it to my Win7 system old laptop took 5 hours to complete but I must admit I like it. Turned off Cortana and switch of all info and feedback to windows in the settings. Couldn't print at first so went to printer reset as default printer and it worked,Don't seem to be able to open jpeg's in PHOTOSHOP as default yet but can open direct from Photoshop I used to be able to right click on photo and tell to open in Photoshop but can get to EXE file of Photoshop looks like a bit of training to do. Won't put it on my new laptop until I iron out a few issues. Happy Days :lol: Roly 

Well got me Photoshop back as a default by going to jpeg picture right click,open with,choose another app. scroll down more apps and hey presto it was there. yippee Windows 10 IS APP MAD. Roly

I haven't actually read here that anyone sees a benefit to moving to Windows 10 - no "Wow - this is a ton better!!" - so my question:

8.1 is working fine for me - is there a reason to move to 10 and go through a new learning curve?

Thanks,

Jay

The problem with sticking with Win8 / 8.1 is that it is buggy and has a limited life. All support ends for this OS on January 10, 2023.  The problem is not necessarily the support but the underlying OS coding.  WIN10 is totally different than WIN7 or Win8 / 8.1.  It supposedly is more secure.  I personally am going to wait for a bit while they work out any surfacing bugs.  You have a year to do the upgrade for free, a lot a patches can be made in a years time.

DW 

The windows 10 app says my upgrade is ready.  I need to click to continue to choose when to upgrade.  If I do that what will the options be?  Will it let me down load the upgrade but let me start it when I want, like a few months from now

Have you done the download for that upgrade and if so then clicking on upgrade will do just that.  There will be two options, express and custom express leaves you wide open to the feds, microsoft and anyone they sell your information to, custom allows you to limit somewhat what is sharable.  You have year to install the upgrade for free.  Personally I would wait until they get more of the bugs cleared up.

DW