Fuses blowing

rdatelle

Scrappile, I was wondering the same thing. The saw is only 3 years old but I don't want to put a lot of money into it. Hopefully all I need is new brushes. We'll see tomorrow when I bring it in.

Good luck taking it to the dealer .You already know how that works if you have a new car .4 times as much as  Ralph's car repair down the street!

I love fixing things! Now a 1.5 amp motor isn't going to smoke when something happens to it because of the low amperage.I pick up fans alot that are brand new folks throw away .What ends up happening is the fan blew over and caused it to over heat before someone could put it right side up again.It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with them as they looked brand new inside.No dust,no burn marks ,no smell so it had to be something easy.Well i dissected the motor carefully and on every fan the black wire had a thermostor connected to it and that was stuffed inside a hole in the motor field winding's which get hot before anything else if there's to much load .I just twisted the thermostor wires together and runs just fine The  thremoster is the same size as a 1/4 watt carbon resistor encased in a asbestos or fiberglass woven sock or incased in a black heat shrink plastic.I do the same thing with nice speakers people throw away.Every time the problem is in the weakest point the solder joint.The solder connections coming off the voice coil that are glued on the speaker paper cone is where the break is .just use a razor blade and scrap off the varnish before and after the soldered connection and test with an ohm meter.I've repaired and fixed hundreds of dollar free speakers like this that were in cars with big amps or musical amps.Harbor freight has ohm meters for $5.00 or sometimes free one to a customer .A lot cheaper than a new motor ;)A little detective work and you to will be a highly sought after dw788 repairman! :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Gee to bad you can do a photo shoot on a Dewalt motor.  I have a TYpe 1 sitting in the corner I would love to be able to fix.

Well everyone, I took my saw to the repair center and they offered a complete fix on anything that is wrong for $259.00.They can't go over that amount so if it's the motor which cost 282.00, then I'm getting a deal, plus they go through the whole saw and tune it up and replace anything that needs replacing. The only thing is it will take about 4 weeks they said. Well I told them to fix it and I think I will look for another saw for a spare. I'm thinking maybe an Excalibur 20 inch. Any suggestions out there.

Edited by rdatelle

Ralph, if it is in your budget, go for the Excalibur.  It will become your primary saw and the DeWalt the back up, I promise.  The Ex is a great saw.  I have had both and have been sorry I didn't keep my DeWalt as a backup and forgot wanting the Hegner.  It would have been a much better fit for me.  An Ex with an Ex backup would have even been a better fit.

I have only run across one used on, in my neck of the US one time.   If you can find a used one in good shape at a good price, congratulations!  :D   They do not come up often.  I bought mine from Seyco.  Great place to do business.  The 21" with stand and foot pedal is $899 free shipping.  That is about as good a price as I have seen.

Ralph I hope you fair better then a guy in my club.  He took his Type 1 in for that rebuild deal.  Two weeks later they returned to him a Type 2 saw with his table and sticker off the old motor.  He knew it was a different saw because he had some tell tale marks on the old housing, the blade clamps were totally different from his  and the vertical blade movement was way out of wack.  The folks at the Dewalt center refused to tell him how the rebuilds are done.  The blade travel was so bad he could not use it.

• 5 years later...