Newbie here - need help.

Stephen_M

I purchased my first scroll saw today.  I was heading out to buy a new DW788 but decided to check out Craigslist first.  I found the DW788 20 inch saw for $325 and it looked good so I went and picked it up.  I took it home and tried it out but it wouldn't cut.  I noticed my bade was VERY loose.  I realized their was no tension screw where the blade sits in the bottom (don't know what its called).  Is there a special screw required for this or can I find one that fits and use it.  I somehow doubt that, but thought I would check here first.

A premature thanks,

By all means, if you can find out what the thread size is, you can use a knob that will fit.

Here is the part I found on the web:

page B.of the diagram, part number 47 of the diagram

Part number 286303-00 Clamp Knob Assembly  $12.03

You may also be able to find this exact part number on e-bay or on the web at a cheaper price.

Good Luck and God Bless!
Spirithorse

Pig in a poke,Shame on them selling you a saw with major parts missing.

I purchased my first scroll saw today.  I was heading out to buy a new DW788 but decided to check out Craigslist first.  I found the DW788 20 inch saw for $325 and it looked good so I went and picked it up.  I took it home and tried it out but it wouldn't cut.  I noticed my bade was VERY loose.  I realized their was no tension screw where the blade sits in the bottom (don't know what its called).  Is there a special screw required for this or can I find one that fits and use it.  I somehow doubt that, but thought I would check here first.

A premature thanks,

A Delta is the same saw, but sells for less.  Here is a parts list:

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/manuals/scroll_saws/40-694/40-694%20Scroll%20Saw%20Parts%20List%20Rev%203.pdf

You probably need Part # 23 & 95.  I assume you could find a Delta website.  I don't have a clue if Delta parts also sell for less than Dewalt.

jerry

Seyco sells the Excalibur parts, and the blade clamp screws are the same on both.  Also, you will eventually need the insert tips and replacement set screws, they do wear out.

In a pinch take any of the clamp screws to a hardware store with bins of screws, they usually have a place where you can try fitting your existing screw in until you find the right one, then you know the correct diameter and thread and can find more in the bins.

By all means, if you can find out what the thread size is, you can use a knob that will fit.

Here is the part I found on the web:

page B.of the diagram, part number 47 of the diagram

Part number 286303-00 Clamp Knob Assembly  $12.03

You may also be able to find this exact part number on e-bay or on the web at a cheaper price.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Spirithorse

I found a place that sells the knob assembly and the set screws.  For some reason I can't find the right size hex tool to fit the set screws.  If you have any idea I'd appreciate the information.

A premature thanks,

Stephen What part of Ohio are you in?  I am in Mentor ( NE Corner up by the lake ).  I would get two of the holders and hold one back for a spare, just in case.

DW