Ad Blocker

Travis

One of the most annoying things about the internet are the ads. They’re everywhere! And some of them are really obnoxious. One way to battle that is that some users choose to use ad blocking software, which works great for the user! Unfortunately, it also hurts small website operators who rely on ad revenue to pay for our hosting fees, domain names, software licenses and other services.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much time, energy, and money it takes to maintain an awesome community that provides free advice, tutorials, patterns, and long-lasting friendships. Here at SSV, we don’t have the luxury of a large publishing company to flip the bill.

I’m not saying to disable your Ad Blocker. But if you go to sites you truly enjoy, consider supporting those websites by “White Listing” them so they are allowed to show ads. This simple gesture goes a long way in supporting small content creators so they can continue to bring you amazing free content.

If you want to help SSV directly, you can also consider becoming a premium member. As a premium member, ads are automatically turned off. There’s a few other fun little perks too, but the No Ad experience is the big one.

Thanks for listening. Back to the fun stuff…scrolling. :thumbs:

This wasn't a ploy to increase premium membership.  I think those who want to be SSV Patrons already are.  Support comes in a number of ways:  participating in discussions, a little word of mouth, sharing patterns or knowledge, and some throw a few coppers in the hat.  I appreciate everybody's support and making this an awesome community.  :)

I was actually at my family's home not too long ago and they were using Ad Blocker.  So I checked to see how many people use it on my websites.  It got me to thinking about the effect on special interest websites.  People like Steve Good, Charles Dearing, Arpop, and a whole host of others who provide free information, tips, patterns, etc.  They don't have big brand deals, or big corporate sponsors.  Instead, they rely on Google Ads to cover their costs.  Besides, our favorite content creators don't get too crazy with the ads anyway.  They make an effort not to get it in everybody's face, unlike some of the big website (try going to a news site sometime...ugg).  That's what spurred this post.  If you go to a site that you use regularly and appreciate, whitelist that website in your ad blocking software.  You probably won't notice much difference, but it helps to support the websites that help you so much.

Travis, how does a person find out when the annual donation is due?  I've been searching and found nothing.  Is there notification or something?

An email is usually sent to you a couple of weeks before it expires.  So keep an eye out for that.  But, if you wanted to check the date, click your name in the upper right corner.  Click Client area.  Then on the left you'll see a tab that says Purchases.  That should give you the date it expires.

Travis, I am one who uses ad block.  I am a tradesman and belong to many sites and you must have ad block or you cannot

read the pages.  I just leave it on.

I took your suggestion and turned it off on this website and found the ads to not get in theway as other websites.

It will be left off on this site.

By the way I really love this site.  I have been scrolling for over 20 years and although I don't partiipate it the chats

I come away with a lot of information.

Keep up the good work.  Ad Blocker OFF.

One of the most annoying things about the internet are the ads. They’re everywhere! And some of them are really obnoxious. One way to battle that is that some users choose to use ad blocking software, which works great for the user! Unfortunately, it also hurts small website operators who rely on ad revenue to pay for our hosting fees, domain names, software licenses and other services.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much time, energy, and money it takes to maintain an awesome community that provides free advice, tutorials, patterns, and long-lasting friendships. Here at SSV, we don’t have the luxury of a large publishing company to flip the bill.

I’m not saying to disable your Ad Blocker. But if you go to sites you truly enjoy, consider supporting those websites by “White Listing†them so they are allowed to show ads. This simple gesture goes a long way in supporting small content creators so they can continue to bring you amazing free content.

If you want to help SSV directly, you can also consider becoming a premium member. As a premium member, ads are automatically turned off. There’s a few other fun little perks too, but the No Ad experience is the big one.

Thanks for listening. Back to the fun stuff…scrolling. :thumbs:

I use ad blocker and flash control

I've never been a fan of Ad blocker for this very reason.  I used to run a couple websites years ago and when ad blocker came around it hurt.  That being said I never realized there was a premium membership for the site.  I'm more than happy to support this great community.  Thanks Travis for keeping this going and giving us scrollers a friendly place to go to share our passions.