Scroll Sawing in house

jbrowning

Jim, I scroll in my basement workshop, it is a room that is 12'x14' but it doesn't have a door on it. As far as the dust goes, we've not noticed that it makes a difference in our home. The only cutting I do in my basement, is scroll saw cutting. I do use a random orbital sander a fair amount, when using it I have a dust collector to use. I just don't use the dust collector when scrolling, I find it makes to much noise. I do use a box fan with a furnace filter attached to it to collect dust, plus I wear a Trend air shield to protect my lungs. But, as I stated, dust is not a problem in our house. There is an air ventilation system that is always operating, that may be what helps with the dust, but I doubt it. The filter is never dirty, I check it twice a year.

Len 

I used to sit an scroll next to the central ac unit intake with a pleated paper filter.When i see the filter bow in it's time to vacuum it clean and go scroll some more.

So if you do use your scroll saw in the house, where do you use it and how do you keep the dust (or at least the majority of it) out of the air?

Jim

I also scroll in the basement during the winter. Pretty darned cold here in Minnesota with an unheated garage.

I hook my shop vac up to cyclone dust collector and tie the hose up underneath scroll saw near blade. It doesn't seem to get too dusty in the house.

I have a model railroad layout about 15 feet from where I scroll and it doesn't look like the layout gets any more dusty than normal.

About the only bad thing about scrolling downstairs is that it takes time away from model railroading. Poor 'ol me (Big smiley face).

I have been an inside scroller for most of my almost 10 year scrolling adventure. I will not stop anytime soon! I love having heat and air conditioning, and constant access to my baby. I had my saw set up in the second bedroom of my apartment for about a year before I moved to a new place. I have a boxfan/filter set-up and do a lot of vacuuming in my shop, but never had any sort of problems carry over. 

Thank you all for the replies. I live in the basement that has hardwood floors. And it has been pretty dad gummed cold here this winter and was wondering about moving the saw into the basement with me. With using the fan blowing, does it blow away from the saw kind of acting as a suction?

I also have asthma and am always wearing a mask when using any of the power tools. So I'm not sure if having the saw in the basement would be such a great idea or not.

Thanks

Jim

I'm a basement dweller also. I have shop vac hoses to the top and bottom of the saw and to the the drill press. Vac is in another room operated by remote so it's quiet. Also a box to spray paints and adhesives that is ducted to outside like a dryer vent, so no fumes. I do have a router table and orbital sander in the garage, but don't spend too much time using those. Especially in the winter.

Pete

https://youtu.be/XCWK-yJ1U4A

https://youtu.be/5j7AcrcDiB0

post-2119-0-84881600-1454974481_thumb.jpg

I have a scrollsaw in my living room and cut coins inside.  My wood scrollsaws are outside, but would love to have a room in the house for scrolling wood.  Maybe when the kids move out.

Carl Jacobs has written about this a lot, and is known here as "Multifasited".  You can see his system in the video below

--------Randy

Edited by hotshot