Planer question

ricklab

If you are referring to a electric hand planer, I suspect that you might be disappointed in the results.  Those are designed more for jointing than finish planing and dimensioning lumber, but you may be able to use it to rough it down, then finish it by hand with a scraper or a smoothing plane.

You could do the whole job with bench planes.  Typically one would use a jack plane to get the thickness down close to desired dimension, then finish off with a smoothing plane.  The planes need to be very sharp and tuned well to achieve best results and it takes some practice to develop the technique.

My suggestion, if you don't have a friend or neighbor who has a planer you could borrow, is to look for a lightly used bench top power planer.  I imagine you could find a decent one for not much more $$ than a really good electric hand planer.  You might be surprised at how much you use it, once you have one.

If you are referring to a electric hand planer, I suspect that you might be disappointed in the results.  Those are designed more for jointing than finish planing and dimensioning lumber, but you may be able to use it to rough it down, then finish it by hand with a scraper or a smoothing plane.

You could do the whole job with bench planes.  Typically one would use a jack plane to get the thickness down close to desired dimension, then finish off with a smoothing plane.  The planes need to be very sharp and tuned well to achieve best results and it takes some practice to develop the technique.

My suggestion, if you don't have a friend or neighbor who has a planer you could borrow, is to look for a lightly used bench top power planer.  I imagine you could find a decent one for not much more $$ than a really good electric hand planer.  You might be surprised at how much you use it, once you have one.

I have the instruction book with my planer somewhere in the mix here.so untill i find it i'm at wits end as to the safe proper way to use it .Any and all info i see or hear of stays in the memory banks

A shop could plane that down in a few minutes,or mount your electric plan upside down and firmly attached so you could run your wood the same width as the planed over and over taking a 1/16{" off at a time,this scares me though,lol

You didn't mention how wide the stock is?

Do you have a band saw? You could re-saw to 13/16 and clean up with a hand plane or even a belt sander.

I have a Delta 'lunch box' planer and find it pretty handy. The De Walt brand planer seems to get the best reviews these days. 

As others have suggested you can see if you can find a shop/school/neighbor etc who'll run you stock through.

I have a couple of boards that I want to plane from 1" to 3/4. This piece is Saple.  I don't have this need very often. Any suggestions on a planner that works well for occasional use? Would a hand held do the job?

Rick I have a planer and would be happy to do it for you. Where in NC are you? Seem to recall you are in the western part of NC.  I am also a member of NCWW so I know wood workers all over the state. If you are to far away from me I might be able to hook you up with a WW closer to where you live.

I used to have an old "lunch box" style planer. I think it was harbor freight model from the 80's. I loved it! I was really handy to have something to take material down in thickness. I had to get rid of it when I got divorced, there is no way I could use a planer in my apartment.

As several have mentioned find a high school or trade school that has a wood shop they will usually do it for free, I that is not available look for a woodcraft store they will do it for a charge. DO NOT TRY IT WITH A ELECTRIC HAND PLANE. You will regret that decision. The hand plane is great if you need to shave the side of a board but it don't do thickness well.

Most woodworkers own a planer, you must know a woodworker who owns a planer, ask around. If you can't find a woodworker to do this for you, you could take it to a school like Wilson142 has suggested. I have done that in the past, they were great to help and I donated a few bucks towards their grad party.

Len