Hello from Ireland

Cathal Killen

hi al. i am a newly retired emergency room nurse. who neverr tried anything with a scroll saw until recenty. I was always t tired to have hobbies :-). I have recently bouth a woodd turninglathe and have made a few bowls now starting withthe scroll saw. so far have only been cutinout shapes and no inside work at all. want to step up and do some more intricate work. I am a big fan of  the wild west so cowboys, wild horses, native americans etc is the sort of thing I am interested in. just found this site by chance andit looks wonderful. my big question is this, after cutting a design do people burn a design onto the wood. most template I see or picture of peoples work looks like pyrographic art with little or no scroll saw work. any thanks for reading this from a complete stupid newbie all the way from county Down in the north of Ireland. any help  or advice would be greatly appreciated .

A Chara

Cathal

Hello and just join this asylum!

The scroll work can also be enhanced by some wood burning!

I sometimes do some wood-burning with a torch for a different effect.

I also do sometimes do design with the various wood burner tips!

Your PROJECT=YOUR WAY!

Please the person in the mirror and do NOT care what the others think! It is a hobby for fun! Have fun and NO STRESS! ALLOWED!

Edited by rjR

Great to have you join us.  Like TJR stated some use wood burning to enhance their pictures.  I don't because I have worked very little with a wood burner.  I know I would screw it up.   Most scroll the picture and them but a "backer" on it to make the cutting stand out.  I use flat black posterboard mostly, other paint plywood.  Any number of ways to do it.  There are great western, Native American, horse patterns in the pattern library, all free. Down load some print the our and go at it. 

hi al. i am a newly retired emergency room nurse. who neverr tried anything with a scroll saw until recenty. I was always t tired to have hobbies :-). I have recently bouth a woodd turninglathe and have made a few bowls now starting withthe scroll saw. so far have only been cutinout shapes and no inside work at all. want to step up and do some more intricate work. I am a big fan of  the wild west so cowboys, wild horses, native americans etc is the sort of thing I am interested in. just found this site by chance andit looks wonderful. my big question is this, after cutting a design do people burn a design onto the wood. most template I see or picture of peoples work looks like pyrographic art with little or no scroll saw work. any thanks for reading this from a complete stupid newbie all the way from county Down in the north of Ireland. any help  or advice would be greatly appreciated .

A Chara

Cathal

Welcome friend,everything i learned about scrolling was right here in the village from all the helpful folks that will do the same for you.Come back everyday so you don't miss a thing!

Hi Cathel, welcome to the village! To answer your question, scroll saw patterns are ment to be cut out with a scroll saw, and most of the pictures of scroll saw work are in fact cut out with the scroll saw. I can see how you might think interior cuts are burnt in, but no, they are cut.

Look around in the tutorial section and bragging forum to see how things are done, and feel free to ask questions. So, come on in and join the fun!

Howdy Cathal, welcome to the forum.   Like others have said, learn the scrolling and then the wood burning later.  Pick some nice easy patterns from the pattern library.  There are plenty to choose from, but i'd pick an easier one to start, give yourself confidence.  :)

Again, welcome pardner.

Russell

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cathal! First of all welcome to the Village and remember that no-one is running after you and its not a race. I only started a few months ago myself but am happy going at my own pace and learning and trying things out, (and also throwing away failed attempts).

Enjoyment is key!

Tony