2 SQ Ft planter. ( Late Mother's Day Gift )

DWSUDEKUM

I know that this is not scrolled folks however I thought you might like to see it.  The planter idea I got from Steve Ramsey's YouTube channel.  Since I do not have the same tools he does I improvised a bit and did my own interpretation of his project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYg9jJS4cgw

CIMG8199.jpg

CIMG8200.jpg

Cimg8201.jpg

The planter is easy to make if you have a miter saw, drill, router and a screw driver and a planer ( hand plane will work as well just a bit more physical work than I can do :)).  Since I do not own a table saw I used a miter saw to do my cuts.  

You will need (4) 8 foot 2x4's that are nice and straight as well as good looking as they will be seen.  Cut each 2x4 into 24" lengths,  You should now have 16 pieces of 2x4 24" inches long.  I glued up (4) 4x4's using 8 of the 24" 2x4's.  I then planed and sanded them and then cut them to 22".

Next you will need (7) 8 foot 5" wide x 3/4 " thick boards.  I chose cedar ( it is more expensive than pine but it lasts longer ) I planed it smooth with my thicknesser.  I then cut them to 18" in length.

Next I set up my router and routed a groove into the remaining 8 sections of 24" 2x4.  I only did this on ONE side.  So each 2x4 section has only one groove in it.  I cut these to a final width of 22".

I set the height of the bottom part with a piece of 2x4 .

The top and bottom rails on each side are 2x4's with a groove routed into one side.  

I pre drilled the holes in the 4x4 corner posts then used 5 inch galvanized screws to hold everything together.

The side panels are cedar plank pieces 2 foot long and they just sit in the grooves, no glue holds them, not needed. They float so that the wood can move as it swells and shrinks with the weather.

Watch Steve's Video and what I did will make much more sense.

DW

I know that this is not scrolled folks however I thought you might like to see it.  The planter idea I got from Steve Ramsey's YouTube channel.  Since I do not have the same tools he does I improvised a bit and did my own interpretation of his project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYg9jJS4cgw

CIMG8199.jpg

CIMG8200.jpg

Cimg8201.jpg

The planter is easy to make if you have a miter saw, drill, router and a screw driver and a planer ( hand plane will work as well just a bit more physical work than I can do :)).  Since I do not own a table saw I used a miter saw to do my cuts.  

You will need (4) 8 foot 2x4's that are nice and straight as well as good looking as they will be seen.  Cut each 2x4 into 24" lengths,  You should now have 16 pieces of 2x4 24" inches long.  I glued up (4) 4x4's using 8 of the 24" 2x4's.  I then planed and sanded them and then cut them to 22".

Next you will need (7) 8 foot 5" wide x 3/4 " thick boards.  I chose cedar ( it is more expensive than pine but it lasts longer ) I planed it smooth with my thicknesser.  I then cut them to 18" in length.

Next I set up my router and routed a groove into the remaining 8 sections of 24" 2x4.  I only did this on ONE side.  So each 2x4 section has only one groove in it.  I cut these to a final width of 22".

I set the height of the bottom part with a piece of 2x4 .

The top and bottom rails on each side are 2x4's with a groove routed into one side.  

I pre drilled the holes in the 4x4 corner posts then used 5 inch galvanized screws to hold everything together.

The side panels are cedar plank pieces 2 foot long and they just sit in the grooves, no glue holds them, not needed. They float so that the wood can move as it swells and shrinks with the weather.

Watch Steve's Video and what I did will make much more sense.

DW

Well done ,Great addition to any patio indoor or out door.

Looks great, she would have been very happy with her gift and waiting would not have been a problem.  Must ask, what is the white flowering plant is it a Rhododendron?  Looks magnificent.

Marg

Marge that is an azalea bush.  They belong to the rhododendron family and come in White,Red and a pinkish purple flower.  They are a spring bloomer and the blossoms only last a couple of weeks.  They can be quite stunning when in full bloom.  You should be able to get them in your neck of the woods as both Hong Kong and Japan have festivals around these bushes.

DW

Marge that is an azalea bush.  They belong to the rhododendron family and come in White,Red and a pinkish purple flower.  They are a spring bloomer and the blossoms only last a couple of weeks.  They can be quite stunning when in full bloom.  You should be able to get them in your neck of the woods as both Hong Kong and Japan have festivals around these bushes.

DW

Yes DW we can get them. I have a red one out front, its in flower now.  Ours must flower autumn / winter and yours flower in spring.

Marg