My first portrait

RFK48

This is my first shot at a portrait, I have a lot to learn but it was fun. The area around the eye on the left was supposed to have more wood there but it came off while I was cutting it. I need to learn what to cut first so this doesn't happen again. This was also my first time trying spiral blades, I used a #4 to start but switched to a 2/0 about half way through just to see the results.

this is a J. Lawson pattern from the pattern section.

post-29872-0-09810300-1471389901_thumb.jpg

This is my first shot at a portrait, I have a lot to learn but it was fun. The area around the eye on the left was supposed to have more wood there but it came off while I was cutting it. I need to learn what to cut first so this doesn't happen again. This was also my first time trying spiral blades, I used a #4 to start but switched to a 2/0 about half way through just to see the results.

this is a J. Lawson pattern from the pattern section.

Excellent job! Your work looks that of an aged professional scroller,Keep your work coming ,I'm impressed :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Excellent first attempt at a portrait !......First rule ..do not point out any mistakes, chances are we can't see them.....I assume this is Mr. Cagney .....Good work !

Yes, Mr Cagney it is. I know this rule but for some reason I feel I have to point out my mistakes before they are found. I will keep trying not to break this rule.

Thank you.

S.S. is totally correct; we see our mistakes that everyone else misses!

Also Very good first try!  I am not that brave yet; may eventually give it a try; when I get my DW-#788; back among the living.

Way to hard to get in holes on the Porter-Cable I am using now.

Thank you. You should try it, it is fun.

Looks good. Those spiral blades can be a bugger. On my portraits I like to use 1/4" or 1/8". dave

Thank you. The spiral blades weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but ti takes getting used to. I used 1/2" just because I have some pieces laying around. Some time this week I am going to order 1/4" and 1/8" BB from Ocooch. 

Excellent job! Your work looks that of an aged professional scroller,Keep your work coming ,I'm impressed :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thank you very much.

Robert, for a first timer, it's an outstanding bit of cutting. Scrolling Steve was right, keep your boo-boos to yourself unless aked about one. You may know it's there, but, why does everyone else need to know. Especially, if it turns out as good as this one did.

Len

Thank you. I will try harder to keep my mistakes to myself.

Robert you will find that not even the portrait designer will notice the mistake, it will only be yourself that knows.  Great first try, you did a fantastic job.

Marg

Thank you. 

Good job

Thank you.

I have never tried it, but probably.  The reason I use CA glue is it dries in second, if you squirt it with activator, and you don't have to sit and hold the piece in place but for a very short time.  I also use it if I have a very fragile piece that is barely hanging on.  I will put some glue on the back to support it.

First off, well done on the portrait, especially for a first attempt and first experience with spiral blades. 

I think you will find that using thinner BB plywood will make cutting portraits more enjoyable.  Use the smallest spiral blades that are practical.  It will give you the most control of the cut and help preserve those very delicate details that portraits are known for.

You could use Aileene's Tacky Glue for the fix on that piece, mainly because the wood is thick enough to give you a little larger gluing surface.  If you were trying to repair something in 1/8" or 1/4" thick stock, the CA glue would be a better choice.

I know it makes one feel poorly when you work so hard on a piece and a part breaks off. Everyone who has done some cutting on delicate pieces have most likely run into that problem, I know I have, more than once. I see those as learning experiences and a wake up for the next piece I am cutting. I too would use thinner wood for portraits and take your time. Your  piece looks really great. It will be fun when you have done several prortraits and realize how much you have accomplished as you go.   Nice job here

Dick

heppnerguy

Great work and thanks for posting your work. 

When people post their work and state an imperfection is at hand then advise is given this is where I learn the most from the Village. I take all the advise store it away to be used at a later date. 

Once again thanks for sharing your art and thanks to all that shed light to what the artist may thinks is an imperfection.

Ciao

Bronx

Edited by bronx