Portrait wood

RFK48

I have some 1/4" hardwoods coming tomorrow from Ocooch, just some different species to see what they look like. Today I will be receiving a couple books that I ordered from Amazon and one of them is Wildlife portraits. I am wondering what kind and thickness do you all use for your portraits? I was going to order some 1/4" and 1/8" BB for starters but just wanted opinions. While I am asking this I might as well ask what size blades you use too, spiral or regular, I will use both.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

I use 1/4" mostly when I use BB.  If I'm doing in wood other than the plywood I have used 1/2" mostly.  So far, I've used popular, maple, black walnut and cherry.  All worked well.  What I am working on right now is around 3/8" redwood burl.  It is very dry and soft and a real challenge.  I started cutting and knew it was going to be difficult so I painted the back with epoxy thinned with acetone.  Seems to be working very well.

I use both spiral and flat blades.  The largest blade I have used is a #1 mostly use the #2/0 FD-PS and in spiral the #3/0 FD-NS.

I use 1/4" mostly when I use BB.  If I'm doing in wood other than the plywood I have used 1/2" mostly.  So far, I've used popular, maple, black walnut and cherry.  All worked well.  What I am working on right now is around 3/8" redwood burl.  It is very dry and soft and a real challenge.  I started cutting and knew it was going to be difficult so I painted the back with epoxy thinned with acetone.  Seems to be working very well.

I use both spiral and flat blades.  The largest blade I have used is a #1 mostly use the #2/0 FD-PS and in spiral the #3/0 FD-NS.

Robert , I use 1/4 BB for most of my portraits and my go to spiral blades are 2/0 and 3/0 FD new spirals.......Good luck and let us see the work you do !

Just the kind of info I was looking for. I'll try both 1/8" and 1/4" BB to start and when I get comfortable I'll start trying different woods I guess. 

I don't do a lot of portraits, but there are several guys in my scrollsaw club that are pretty prolific portrait scrollers.  In general, BB ply is considered the standard for portraits.  I like 1/8" thickness, but have used 1/4".  I like to stack at least 2 layers together, so the 1/8" just seems to work better for me. Most of the guys in the club seem to prefer the thinner ply as well.  I think BB ply is most popular, because it is lighter in color and has very little grain character to distract the viewer's eye from the actual picture.  However, some patterns are really enhanced by a strong, distinct grain pattern, so other species of veneer may be appropriate, in specific applications.  I think it's very important, when selecting plywood for portraits, to choose one with actual layers of ply in the middle, instead of a solid core.  This gives the thin plywood the most strength and resists breakage better than solid core, IHMO.  This is another reason why BB is so poplar.

The size of the spirals will depend on the pattern.  If there are a lot of very fine details and delicate areas, I will use a 2/0 or even a 3/0 spiral.  For places where the detail isn't as fine or I need heavier veining, I'll use a #1 or #3 flat end spiral.  I'll use a straight blade, like a #1 or #2 for making long straight cuts or in places where a really sharp inside corner is critical.  I may use all of these blades on the same portrait, depending on the need.

Bill make a good point here.  I don't not use just one size/type blade on a portrait.  I switch blade to use what I feel is best for a certain part of a portrait.  I am getting to where I do this more and more.  Same thing when drilling the holes to thread the blades through.  I larger areas I use a larger size drill like a 1/16" or a #63 and in the real small area I will use a #68 or #70.  I figure why make any harder to thread the blade then necessary. 

I have two scroll saws and often I have a spiral in one and a flat blade in the other and just switch saws for what I need. 

I generally use I/8" Baltic birch plywood for portraits and here is why.   When a portrait is viewed from an angle instead of straight on the edges of the fretwork cuts distract from the content in my opinion.   In fact when I cut fretwork in thicker material I like to paint the edges of the cuts with flat black paint, when I use a black backer, before removing the pattern.   I think it really enhances the fretwork.   For anyone that hasn't done this try it you might like the results.  

Wow I am glad I asked this question. This place is great, you people help more than you know.

I will be trying all of these tips eventually. I thought about changing blades for different areas of a project but I tend to be lazy when it comes down to it but I will start trying that. Thanks everybody!

I don't use bb on much of anything, unless the customer requests it. Several reasons why. It burns like paper. Depending on the pattern, the spiral blades tear out, and a flat blade will eliminate that with a smoother cut. And, another main reason is I don't care for the looks of finished project. I've been using rough cut hardwood long enough, & keep enough inventory of different species of hardwood on hand, I can make a project look better with it than bb. IMO. Everybody has their own tastes. I don't use much stain, either. Shellac & lacquer is the extent of it.

Robert, I use 1/8" bb plywood for all of the portrait type cuttings I do. I like the 1/8" bb plywood, because I can stack cut up to four copies at a time comfortably. Most of the portrait cuttings I've done, were of people who have passed on. That makes stack cutting perfect for those types of affairs, there's always more than one family member that will want a copy.

Len

When cutting portraits I use BB ply â…›" and usually stack three sheets. I've only used Olson blades #s 0/2 to #9. I choose blades according to pattern being cut. Same as I choose cutting speed accordingly. As for spiral blades I consider them special purpose blades and use them when needed.

I have some 1/4" hardwoods coming tomorrow from Ocooch, just some different species to see what they look like. Today I will be receiving a couple books that I ordered from Amazon and one of them is Wildlife portraits. I am wondering what kind and thickness do you all use for your portraits? I was going to order some 1/4" and 1/8" BB for starters but just wanted opinions. While I am asking this I might as well ask what size blades you use too, spiral or regular, I will use both.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Try to use a blade that has at least three teeth in contact with the wood at all times

Paul putting epoxy on the back is a really good idea I will have to remember this. For this great tip I will give you the ""At-a-boy"" award for the day.   :cool:    :lol:

Thank you, but keep in mind, this is the first and only time so far I have tried the epoxy. I did it because I had nothing to lose, the wood is just so soft I would not be able to cut it without something to hold it together.  So it is not a proven process.  I am going to try it on the back of one of my next basswood projects.  I do not think it is necessary on BB or probably other plywoods.