Atheist-themed scroll saw patterns

Frank Pellow

I did a little research, because that's what I do. I wanted to see if their was a symbol for atheism that was widely accepted. I think I found it. The Letter A with a circle around it, or sometimes an atom behind it. I included the tattoo of the DNA strand just because I thought It was super cool :) I also added the old standby for non believers "The Flying Spaghetti Monster" We have a few Pastafarians in my Universal Unitarian congregation. We'll take anyone.

Oh my I love the A with DNA tattoo, I've never seen that design before. Totally going on my "to cut" list!

It's too bad I just don't have the where-with-all to design a plaque. If I could it would include a modernist graphic of two or three people with each other and the saying: " Humanism: Because all we have is each other. "   Any takers?  If I like the idea I'll cut it and post it here.

Edited by EarltheScroller

Matt ( vykus), I knew about the A with a circle symbol when  I thought about a symbol to used to represent Reason, but I liked the symbol that I used to represent Science better.  The science symbol that I used is intuitive.

I didn't know about the Circled A in the word Reality or with the DNA symbol and I like both of these.  Thanks for bring them to our attention.  I will definitely consider a scroll saw work that includes one or the other.

125 CSL:  There are cheap, self centered people in every walk of life, not just in Atheistism.

Looks nice, Frank.  That is a good looking piece of wood.  Sanding is not my favorite part of woodworking.

On the face of it yes, and in today's self centered culture,..... In a life time of running into them(atheist) here and there, talking about most. I am sure somewhere there is an atheist that dose not fit that mold. As already pointed out it is its own religion. Survival of the fittest leaves little room for someone else.

Edited by 125 CSL

On the face of it yes, and in today's self centered culture,..... In a life time of running into them(atheist) here and there, talking about most. I am sure somewhere there is an atheist that dose not fit that mold. As already pointed out it is its own religion. Survival of the fittest leaves little room for someone else.

Atheism doesnt mean survival of the fittest, it means as a society we get to work out what is right and what is wrong, instead of relying on a 2000 year old book.  Remember there is slavery, wife beating, killing rebellious children etc in the bible.  Do you still follow those to?

As for Atheism being a religion.  By your definition not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Atheism doesnt mean survival of the fittest, it means as a society we get to work out what is right and what is wrong, instead of relying on a 2000 year old book.  Remember there is slavery, wife beating, killing rebellious children etc in the bible.  Do you still follow those to?

As for Atheism being a religion.  By your definition not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Atheism is based in the warks of darwin, just  as every protestant faith is based on the bible. As a society it is better to work out right and wrong in a construct that shows right and wrong, which comes from that 2000 year old book. The society you live in now.

Atheism is a belief system just like every other faith,................we are way off the scroll saw topic here. 

Craig (125 CSL), you are correct that a few posts in this thread take us off the topic.  But the majority of the posts do stick to the topic and I believe that we are accomplishing my objective of coming up with a few patterns that are atheist and humanist oriented.

I have resisted debating religious points of view and claims about atheism put forth by some people in this thread and I wish that everyone would do the same.

Edited by Frank Pellow

Yes, please, let's just discuss different ideas for scroll sawing and keep quiet with all the editorial comments about religion or non religion. Our challenge was to come up with different scroll sawing ideas for all religions or non-beliefs. Anybody here of other religions than Christianity?  I'd love to see your ideas, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

.While not athiest-themed, the ‘Yule Season Reason’ pttern (see: http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/21128-yule-season-reason/) and plaque (see: http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/21523-yule-season-reason-plaque/) do celebrate the late December “holiday†season in a way that can be supported by EVERYONE, not just by Christians.

The winter soltice celebrations (known as Yule, Jul, Jol, Joulu, etc. by various northern European civilizations) predate Christianity.

I know I'm coming into this late, but what the heck. I have to agree with Rockytime, is this the end? I haven't read all the posts in this thread, just too overwhelming. What I have gleaned is that 1. There are probably more religious scrollers than atheistic ones. 2. I don't think there is any rule against posting and atheist themed pattern. 3. If you decide to post such a pattern, there will be those who feel obligated to editorialize for or against it. That's just a fact of life, no big deal. Sticks and stones, etc. 4. Good looking pattern, and I'd like to cut it when I get done cutting the Christmas ornaments I'm working on now. I base my decisions to cut or not cut a pattern on whether or not I like it, for whatever reason. That said, let's move on.

Jim