Another trivet

Rob

More beautiful work.   I have a question for the "trivet" experts - how thick is the wood you usually use for the trivet?  Any other "tips" or "tricks" to cutting them?  I am thinking about trying some for Christmas Gifts for friends and family perhaps but not really sure where to start with wood choices, thickness, etc.  Any insight would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

I love the Rimu wood you use Rob, it makes everything look very expensive.  I don't think I have seen this pattern before I really like it.  Well done all round.

Marg

Thanks Marge.  the pattern was actually a free cross stitch pattern.  I modified it a little to make it a bit stronger as some of it was very thin. 

Rob

Marge, 

I put a rough copy of the cross stitch pattern in the library some time ago. 

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/image/5304-crosstitch-heart/

Looking at it now it looks really sloppy but hey it's a learning process right. Seeing it cut out, and quite excellently I might add, I think I might have to grab some walnut, print out the pattern and make myself a trivet. 

Marge, 

Looking at it now it looks really sloppy but hey it's a learning process right. Seeing it cut out, and quite excellently I might add, I think I might have to grab some walnut, print out the pattern and make myself a trivet. 

Thanks Matt.

I couldn't remember where I found the pattern.  I didn't follow it too slavishly and modified it in places to make it a little stronger.  I also found after cutting the circle that it wasn't very round so I put a plate over it and drew around it then re-cut the circle.  The heart is not perfectly centred as a result but I think it looks ok.

Rob

Very clean cuts on a great pattern.  The wood has a beautiful color.

Melanie, use 1/2" to 3/4" wood for trivets.

Thanks Denny.  I have cut my first trivet a little earlier and did cut it from 3/4 wood (have to confirm with hubby what TYPE of wood it is!  :oops: Its some scrap of some he had in the shop.)  I will post it once I have gotten the "details" down as to wood type, etc.  ;)

Marge, 

Thanks for the link to the pattern.  I really wanted to maybe give this one a try too.  I'm thinking that there are some "trivet" Christmas gifts to be made this year.  Just don't want anything too complicated for this beginner scroller.  The first one I did earlier taught me that all those little drill holes and threading the blade through them is as time consuming and difficult as I had imagined!  :shock:  Especially with having to manually lift that Dewalt 788 up and out of the way.  I see a mechanism added to it soon!  ;)

Edited by meflick

Rob, 

I'm sure the circle was not an actual circle. I had not been scrolling for long then and therefor did not have a lot of experience making patterns, plus I was doing my drawing with my mouse. Now I have a Wacom tablet and have learned all kinds of tricks. Maybe I should go back and clean that one up. 

Marge, 

Thanks for that I have taken a copy.

Marg