It's beginning to look a lot like...

Montserrat

Monti, don't use lemon oil, it never fully drys. Use a product that is designed as a wood finish like Danish oil or a BLO/mineral spirits mix. Lemon oil is a cleaner and polish.

I know, Steve Good uses it, but it's not the right product to use!

Thanks for the info.  I am just so uncomfortable with the chemical side of it and the combustible nature of the stuff.  And how do I get that into the nooks and crannies?  with a brush?  or dunk the piece?    I have been using mineral oil which incidentally left an oil stain on my mother's wallpaper...  

Monti, I use 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits a lot.  Dunking is easier than applying with a brush.  I bought a cheap metal oven dish a couple of inches deep and put my work-piece in that.  I pour over the BLO mix trying to cover all the nooks and crannies and then turn the work over and check from the other side.  Once I am happy and it has had a few minutes, I hang it to dry over the dish.  When it has stopped dripping I pour the mix back into a jam jar with a lid and keep it for the next job.  I also hang the tray over the jar with a funnel to get as much as I can off the tray.  You can clean the tray with mineral spirits if you like too.  If I use rags or paper towels at all, I soak them in water and dispose of them in an outside bin.  I am very careful about that and have not had any problems.

If I were you, I would test on a piece of scrap from the work you cut first so you can be sure you will like the result before committing yourself.

Rob

I have not seen this  pattern before. Sue Mey is a wonderful pattern designer and I do have quite a few of her patterns in my pattern collection too. this one is done very well by you and I am  so glad you shared it with us all. i think I will go look it up on Sue's page and grab myself a copy of it too.

Dick

heppnerguy

Monti, I use 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits a lot.  Dunking is easier than applying with a brush.  I bought a cheap metal oven dish a couple of inches deep and put my work-piece in that.  I pour over the BLO mix trying to cover all the nooks and crannies and then turn the work over and check from the other side.  Once I am happy and it has had a few minutes, I hang it to dry over the dish.  When it has stopped dripping I pour the mix back into a jam jar with a lid and keep it for the next job.  I also hang the tray over the jar with a funnel to get as much as I can off the tray.  You can clean the tray with mineral spirits if you like too.  If I use rags or paper towels at all, I soak them in water and dispose of them in an outside bin.  I am very careful about that and have not had any problems.

If I were you, I would test on a piece of scrap from the work you cut first so you can be sure you will like the result before committing yourself.

Rob

I do it this way too, except I wipe off the excess oil.

I always stress not to use products that are not designed as a finish. Mineral oil is ok for things like cutting boards and such, but like lemon oil, it never really drys, possibly staining what ever the object it is sitting on.

The BLO/ mineral spirits mix will bring out the grain and color of the wood, but will dry in 24-36 hours. I usually apply a top coat of a spray semi gloss lacquer once the oil is dry.

• 4 weeks later...