Ornaments For Charity - Pattern Drive 2016

Travis

Halloween is over and Christmas is right around the corner. Scrollers are starting to think about gifts and patterns to cut for loved ones.  But since the Holiday season is also about helping others in need, we're continuing our tradition here at Scroll Saw Village as a way to give back.  This will be our 7th year of publishing an e-Book full of Christmas ornaments. This popular e-Book was featured in the Holiday 2014 issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine.  Our ornaments designs are exclusive to this eBook and designed by SSV members. Anyone are can download the ebook in exchange for a donation to their favorite charity. Our hope is that we'd be able to raise some money for very worthy causes, and provide some cool patterns at the same time.

But we need your help!

So I'll need some volunteers to design some ornaments.

• Each designer will provide 5 patterns (no more, no less)
  • I ask that the designs are not made available anywhere else (this gives value to the e-book)
  • They have to be designed specifically by you (no posting other people's patterns)
  • Designs must be emailed (or PM) to Travis by Wednesday, November 23rd (info below)

A few things to keep in mind:

• Religious and secular designs are accepted.
  • Other religions/traditions also celebrate this time of year, so lets not forget them.
  • Keep detail and size appropriate for an ornament.
  • Don't submit copyrighted or licensed patterns.
  • The due date will sneak up on you quicker than you think.  Get them to me ASAP. 

What do you get in exchange?

• Credit for your design.
  • The warm fuzzy feeling that you're helping others in need.

Submitting your ornaments:

• Email the ornaments directly to Travis (travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com) or PM me.
  • Formats accepted are JPG, PNG. Please keep the pattern in black & White only (no gray) . That way I can convert them easier when putting together the ebook.
  • I'll also accept Inkscape files (SVG). This is ideal if you know how to use Inkscape. That way there is no conversion.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's our article in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts from last year:

gallery_1_314_204285.jpg

:santa: I'm designing. Are you? So who's in?    :santa:

Question: One design per page or can they be grouped together?

We'll need 5 individual ornament patterns and you can email/PM them to me.  When I assemble the eBook, I'll group them together so the book flows correctly.  Does that answer your question?  Or did I misunderstand?

We'll need 5 individual ornament patterns and you can email/PM them to me.  When I assemble the eBook, I'll group them together so the book flows correctly.  Does that answer your question?  Or did I misunderstand?

Yes, that's what I meant.  Five patterns, five individual files, got it.  I'll give it a go, hopefully I'll come up with something worthy.

Through Casey - that makes 5 people. I decided to give this a try.  As a newbie to the saw - I was looking for more "basic designs" that I could attempt to cut and give as ornaments this year.  As a result, my designs are probably more "basic" then many.  Hopefully they will work - at least for more newbies like me.  I have sent them to you Travis via email.  Let me know if you don't get them or need me to do something further.  Thanks for letting me "give back".

I take us to 6 people - anybody else going to join in on the fun? :santa:

We're doing awesome!  This might be our best year yet!  ;)

So far we got:

1. Travis
  2. DonR (submitted)
  3. debinoz
  4. Fab4  (submitted)
  5. CaseyJ
  6. meflick (submitted)
  7. helmut (submitted)
  8. debinoz
  9. Jesse (submitted)

Who's going to tip us over into the double digits?  Is it you?  Who else is in?

Travis - just to clarify and make sure, you have debinoz listed twice (#3 and #8) and you don't list hers as submitted but post above your last update says she sent them to you Fri night/Sat.

I had to re-send them today.  Somehow I had deleted the message before he got it. (sorry about that)  Probably why I'm listed twice, too.  That means we still need another to make double digits.    

Sorry, I've been away for a few days.  It looks like we hit out goal!  50 new patterns will be added to this year's eBook.  Can we get another couple designers?  Will it be you?  Here's where we're at:

1. Travis
  2. DonR (submitted)
  3. debinoz (submitted)
  4. Fab4  (submitted)
  5. CaseyJ
  6. meflick (submitted)
  7. helmut (submitted)
  8. Jesse (submitted)
  9. vykus
  10. Birchbark (submitted)

Who else is in?

Travis - Did you get my email on Friday?

I did.  Sorry for the miss.  I'll probably start downloading and assembling the book this weekend.  It's certainly not too late.  If you want to participate, just have your patterns in by next Wednesday.  

Our list has been updated below:

1. Travis
  2. DonR (submitted)
  3. debinoz (submitted)
  4. Fab4  (submitted)
  5. CaseyJ (submitted)
  6. meflick (submitted)
  7. helmut (submitted)
  8. Jesse (submitted)
  9. vykus
  10. Birchbark (submitted)