I'm scrolling Yule-time greeting cards -updated for 2017

Frank Pellow

(part 1 of 2)

Last week, I designed a 'Wishing You a Cool Yule' plaque insert for our front door.

A couple of days after designing this, I got to thinking that it might be possible to make a variation of the plaque insert that is small enough and light enough to serve as a seasonal greeting card. And, sure enough, I came up with a pattern and instructions to do just that.

Both patterns can now  be found in the pattern library here at Scroll Saw Village.

I give credit to 'bobscroll for the snowman that I utilized in these patterns.

post-28738-0-17339900-1480580555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow
update for 2017 version of cards

(part 2 of 2)

The black part is intended to be removed leaving a ‘To’ tab at the top left and a ‘From’ tab at the bottom right.

I reduced the size so that it can fit into a “standard†9 inch by 7 inch padded envelope that can be purchased relatively cheaply in bulk from most stationery stores.

I cut the prototype out of 3mm thick Baltic birch plywood and “manufactured†a piece of 2mm thick clear pine with the same width and height to use as a backer board.. I could have used a second piece of plywood for the backer but I believe that would put to total weight of the card, the envelope, and other contents over 100 grams. Once one goes over 100 grams, the postage rates (at least in Canada) take a BIG jump. In the first photo attached below, I am weighing everything, including a couple of strips of sticky-back Velcro, should the recipient wish to display the card.

The combined weight is 92 grams. :)

I completed the prototype card and gave it to Margaret. Margaret was truly surprised and delighted with both the concept of making such a card and the card itself. Attached below are photos of the card and the card’s current location where it is stuck with Velcro on the window behind our kitchen sink:

The foreground board was painted with dark blue metallic acrylic paint. Appropriate parts of the background board were painted with white, copper, orange, and green acrylic paint. The two boards were glued together using Lepage’s No More Clamp glue.

I’m going to attempt to stack cut 6 of these. So far, my stack cutting on other projects has been so-so, therefore I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

post-28738-0-02042000-1480580675_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-48320700-1480580707_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-02142200-1480580723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

(part 1 of 2)

Last week, I designed a 'Wishing Yo a Cool Yule' plaque insert for our front door.

A couple of days after designing this, I got to thinking that it might be possible to make a variation of the plaque insert that is small enough and light enough to serve as a seasonal greeting card. And, sure enough, I came up with a pattern and instructions to do just that.

Both patterns can now  be found in the pattern library here at Scroll Saw Village.

I give credit to 'bobscroll for the snowman that I utilized in these patterns.

good looker ,Stand out great !

My stack cutting remains so-so as can be seen in the two attached images.

I stack cut six 3mm thick pieces of Baltic Birch plywood, with mixed results.

• The snowman, cut with a Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse UR3 blades worked out VERY well.
  •  
  • The large letters cut with a flying Dutchman New Spiral NS3 blade worked out well.
  •  
  • The small letters first cut with a Flying Dutchman NS1 blade were a failure.  I switched to Flying Dutchman NS2/0 blades after screwing up a few times and the letters cut that way are OK.

I'm going to keep the top 5 pieces and hope that, once painted and mounted, the recipients will not notice the flaws.  The bottom piece (in the bottom right of the photo) will be thrown out.

The spiral 2/0 blades really have to work hard with this thickness of plywood and the wood has to be pushed hard against the blade, something that I am not used to doing.   I also learned that, when cutting the small letters, the interior cuts should be made first, otherwise the material one is cutting is very week and apt to break.

post-28738-0-41109900-1480695505_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-64399900-1480695517_thumb.jpg

Into Production:

Yesterday, I really got into “production†mode on these cards. The first part of this is, obviously, the stack cutting of the foreground pieces. I also needed to speed up the painting of the backer-boards. To this end, I created a couple of painting templates, one for the white areas and the other for the rest of the colours.

I'm attaching a couple of photos of painting underway on backer-boards using templates.

post-28738-0-22267100-1480852276_thumb.jpg

post-28738-0-37194900-1480865717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

Last card mailed:

The attached photo shows the last of 34 cards being inserted into an envelope.

I would not have started this project if I had known how time consuming it would be.  The amount of scrolling involved was just about what I expected.  But, I estimate that the scrolling time was only 25% of the total time.

On the other hand, I have gotten enthusiastic feedback from folks who have already received their cards.

post-28738-0-54589800-1481335545_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Pellow

• 1 year later...

It appears that I've really started some sort of tradition.  A number of folks who received one of my cards last year asked if I was going to create one again this year.

Hence, I did:

5a3583b9bea5d_32SeasonsGreetingswoodencards-small.thumb.JPG.4a80977c2fee39e7891ca45e688ed07d.JPG

The pattern for this new card can be found in the thread:

Edited by Frank Pellow