Newbie: how much vibration is normal for DW788?

jplacy2

Hi Folks-

I decided to jump into scroll sawing with both feet, and purchased a lightly-used DW788.  I had the seller fire it up prior to the purchase, and to my untrained eye, all seemed well.

Fast forward a week and a little more experience watching videos, and now I'm concerned there is a problem with the saw rattling/vibrating a bit more than it should.  Problem is, I have no baseline for comparison to know what is "normal."

Please check out this short video, and focus and periodic "bumps" and rattles visible in the air nozzle.  Especially at higher speeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBxPC9gi_I

In your opinion, is what you observe considered typical, or could the "bumps" be considered a sign of a bigger problem?

Thanks for your advice!

Jim

I bought a new 788 from Woodcraft and it sounded just like yours. In my opinion there is something wrong with it. Here is a long video ( 1hr and 26 min) on how to fix your DW 788) but a good video. He will show you how to fix it and where to buy the parts cheaper. So don't go off the deep in thinking you have been taken to the cleaners. Remember mine was brand new.

Hi Folks-

I decided to jump into scroll sawing with both feet, and purchased a lightly-used DW788.  I had the seller fire it up prior to the purchase, and to my untrained eye, all seemed well.

Fast forward a week and a little more experience watching videos, and now I'm concerned there is a problem with the saw rattling/vibrating a bit more than it should.  Problem is, I have no baseline for comparison to know what is "normal."

Please check out this short video, and focus and periodic "bumps" and rattles visible in the air nozzle.  Especially at higher speeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBxPC9gi_I

In your opinion, is what you observe considered typical, or could the "bumps" be considered a sign of a bigger problem?

Thanks for your advice!

Jim

wish i could help . don't have speakers and can't watch movies.I've done lots of work on dw788's

Okay, I think I have a winner.  I wanted to post this follow-up in case some other newbie stumbles across this thread in the future.

Three things addressed the problem:

1.  The lower rocker assembly was pretty loose.  I found it required some very careful tightening to get just right.  Too tight caused binding, too loose caused knocking.  This didn't solve the "bump" but it did quiet things down.

2. I opened up the saw, and tightened everything I could.  Particularly the "con rod" assembly.  Nothing was exceptionally loose, but I was still able to get just a fraction of a turn on some of the bolts.

3. It turns out the previous owner hadn't used the saw for "years" in his words.   After making the above adjustments, the "bump" was better, but still there.  I let the saw run for 30 minutes straight at about #6 speed, and it gradually seemed to get better.  I'm no mechanical engineer, but it seems plausible that any machine which sits for a long period of time will need to "wake up" a bit.

Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions!

After video:

https://youtu.be/dzJz4iqF7V4