2/24 How many of you do woodworking shows?

Christina

I have been doing craft shows for about 20 years. What I have made for sale has changed dramatically over the years and you have to change in order to stay up with the business as it is in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. The best area for selling crafts is a tourist area which I am not in and the worst area is the farming community, which I am also in. You might not sell a given group of products one year and then the next year you will. What I have found out in that you need a wide selection and then there is no sure thing with that. You have to like doing it or you will only work yourself to death for nothing. ( the newscaster asked the craft show guy what he was going to do with the million dollars that he just won in the lottery. He replied that he would just keep on crafting till it was gone.)

There is too much truth in that story.

Its something I've always wanted to do. I love going to craft shows and seeing all the neat stuff people come up with. But my schedule is much too crazy to try to build up an inventory. One thing you could look into is Etsy.com. I have a storefront but have never had enough time to put anything in it...LOL. But you don't need a huge inventory to get started. I think if you have 5 or 6 pieces, you'll be just fine. It's like ebay, but for crafters. You put an item up for sale and I think it can stay in your store for 6 months or until you sell it. Costs about 20 cents to put something in the store, then naturally they take a cut of any sales, just like eBay. Really cool place. Plus its a great place to get ideas for your next project! ;)

i have never went to a craft show, but next month , i will have some of my stuff in a show. a friend of my wife seen some of my stuff, and wants me to put my stuff with hers. so i have been cutting a little bit of everything, because i have no idea what will sale. and i dont know how much to charge for my stuff. but i think travis was talking about etsy, so i will take a look and see what crafts are going for, than charge less.

I did a craft show last November. It was the first one in quite a few years. All I had was Christmas ornaments, and a few patriotic items. Didn't do real well on the ornaments. The patriotic stuff sold out, and got some orders for more. Going to do a show in April with a much wider variety. Will update then with the best sellers! Also planning on doing a few car shows when the weather permits.

Paul

Thanks so much for sharing everyone! I think it's really important to research your area............not an easy thing to do but it's very beneficial to anyone wanting to do the shows. If there are craft shows in your area go to them..........look for work similiar to yours and see how it's priced and pay attention to the booths.........do they seem to have quite a few lookers and if so are those lookers buying? What are they buying? What is the price range, etc...

I think that will tell you more than anything what will sell best in your area and how much you should charge. Too high of prices will mean no sales...........but too low of prices mean you are working for nothing. You have to find a happy median in there somewhere.

I'd be interest to know the results of everyone's shows too. How did you do? Did you have a lot of traffic and if so how many were just lookers and asking questions as opposed to buyers? Do you think you will get repeat business.........or do you think most of it was impulse buying? Lots of questions that could really help anyone new trying to get ready for shows!

Christina

One thing to keep in mind for those looking to do shows. Make sure you have some cheap, easy to make stuff. People have a tough time parting with money for handcrafted items because of their pricetag. Especially with the economy going to heck in a handbasket. They know it's better, but sometimes price wins out. Have some cheap stuff that would make good 'gifts'. Stack cut bookmarks, magnets, christmas ornments and the like. Be sure to have something for little kids too. They want something to take home. So things like little rubber band guns, spinning tops, and simple puzzles. This year more than any other, cheap is the name of the game.

That really is so true Travis! It's always best to have a good supply of cheap stuff that's easy and inexpensive to make. You will find that you will sell loads of these things before you sell one of your more expensive time consuming projects. Most of the smaller stuff is bought on impulse.........impulse buyers are your friends! Have a few showy pieces too...........that will attract attention and make them remember you. You never know when that special order will come in.

Mostly have a great time...........if you have a good time it shows and people will be more attracted to your booth too! Make your space attractive....try not to clutter. If you have too much it detracts from your display and no one can really see anything. You can always replenish supplies as you sell them. Have lots of business cards to hand out too........even if they don't buy at the time they may call you another time for a special order.

When I did craft shows I had drawings too...........I made small things for prizes. I had them put their names on pieces of paper and told them the drawing is in 30 minutes or whatever............that brings them back. Then I drew names and gave out the prizes then and there. Also you can ask if they would like to be kept informed when you have new things.........get email addresses that way for advertising.

Lots of things you can do and think about lol.

Christina

The wife and I are going to do our first large-scale Art & Crafts show next month (March). Being our first one, we're really not sure what to expect and don't have any illusions of overwhelming success. It's an annual 2-day affair about 60 miles from where we live, so if nothing else it will be a nice weekend get away for us.

I'm probably a little different than some, in that I only cut portraits and scenes and very few of them are what could be considered low priced. This all spawned from my serious scroll sawing addiction -- meaning that I usually only cut things (patterns) that appeal to me, or things that I see as a challenge.

I know.., it sounds a little arrogant, and maybe it is. But like many (if not most) here, I already have a regular full-time job and I'm not looking for another. So for me scroll sawing was, and will continue to be, something that I enjoy doing. Something that allows me to relax and decompress.

The so-called "business" side of it was prompted by repeated requests from friends, family, and co-workers. Last November I took a few pieces with me to work one day to show one of my co-workers. And the dam burst! Word of mouth traveled like a wildfire and in the following four days I sold just about everything that I had on-hand. And in the end I had pocketed over $750 -- all without even trying.

So my wife said, "what the heck, let's give it a shot." But we both agreed up front that the day that it became just another job is the day the business side of it would go away. We're "empty nesters," so if nothing else we see this as a way for the two of us to spend some more time together.

Heck.., we may not sell a single thing at this upcoming show. Then again, we may sell out. I'll be fine with it either way.

I think that's a good attitude going in. If you sell, great. If not, oh well. 'Course it would be pretty sweet if if you sold out. ;) I think it would be a lot of fun to do. Gives you an opportunity to meet new people and talk about stuff you enjoy. Plus, if you make a little extra money, put it into the 'new tool' fund. Nothing wrong with new tools. :razz:

That is a great way of looking at it. I hope you have a really great time and are successful too. But for some folks it's an extra income and much needed so we try to cover all the bases. It's really great to share information and tips...........so I hope you will share how your show goes when you return.

Christina

I feel the same way about my items. Everyone tells me my prices are to low, I keep telling them this is my hobby not my JOB. I enjoy it and it is relaxing for me. If I sell something great if not oh well. Until I depend on it for my full income I'll keep my prices reasonable, as long as I make a little money to pay for supplies and wood I'm thrilled.