Animal Puzzle Patterns

Iguanadon

Hi All,

A quick story... as you know I make animal puzzles (Really?  We had no idea Iggy! haha) and I've bragged about the artist who draws the patterns, Mr. Harvey Byler, an Amish gentleman that lives in Ohio.  I was able to contact him and have been speaking with him since I started making these puzzles 6 months ago, he's a wonderful person and last month I posed an idea to him.  I had told him about the great community we have here at SSV and the fact that I've gotten a couple of you interested in these puzzles and I thought I could sell his patterns for him direct rather than you having to order them thru Wooden Teddy Bear for $3.00 each and having to pay high shipping costs.

Well, he just called me after thinking it over and he has agreed to let me sell them and I'll be able to email them to you as soon as you place your order.  I was willing to be his "distributor" for free but he insisted I should keep a portion for myself, so what we agreed to is that I will sell them for $2.50 each, with no shipping costs and I'll keep 50 cents and he gets the $2 (which is much more than he's currently getting from Wooden Teddy Bear by the way).

If you're interested in his patterns, take a look at my website (see below in my signature) and you'll see pictures of all that I've made and therefore have the patterns for.  I currently have 149 of his patterns (which I paid $3 a piece for) so hopefully you'll find some that interest you.

Everything you see on my website with the exception of the colorful kids dinosaurs are his work, so have a blast browsing the various dogs and other animals.

And again, I'll be able to email them to you right away with no shipping costs.

Let me hear from you as to your thoughts.  or feel free to email me directly at WoodcraftByScott@gmail.com

I look forward to turning more of you into puzzle junkies, while helping out my friend Harvey with some additional sales/income.

Iggy

UPDATE - I've added SCROLL SAW PATTERNS to my website so you can order direct. https://woodcraftbyscott.com/

Edited by Iguanadon

Good job Iggy, I will for sure be ordering some from you. I do have a question. Will you be selling all of Mr. Harvey Byle's patterns or just the ones you have bought yourself?

Thanks

Jim

Good question Jim,

To start off with, only the ones I currently have.  If there is enough demand for others that I don't have on hand, he and I will work something out.  He'd have to mail them to me so that I could then scan them and email them out.  We decided to start with the 149 I have already in my possession and have scanned.

That is a wonderful idea!  Especially, if you are getting him more income that way!  Good for you! 

I shared in the German forum.  Hope that is ok!

Thank you, I feel good about helping him out and getting him more money as well as recognition.  Absolutely, feel free to share and spread the word.  I was thinking that I need to look for other forums that are out there that I could share with as well.

This is great Iggy.   :thumbs:   It looks as if everyone is a winner. We are saving money and you and Mr. Harvey are making money. I do hope you will have more of his patterns because there is some I like that aren't dogs. I am assuming what you have are the dogs I haven't looked at your web site since you posted this.

i HAVE ONLY HAD THE DOG PUZZLES AT TWO SALES AND SOLD A TOTAL 30 PUZZLES COULD HAVE SOLD A LOT MORE IF i HAD THEM. i NOW HAVE MY INVENTORY UP TO ABOUT 40 DOGS i WAS LOOKING ON YOUR WEBSITE AND COULDN'T FIND THE ONES TAT YOU HAVE.

ike

At each show, I have 50-55 different breeds on display.  I like to cover as many as possible so folks happy when they ask for one and I have it.

Go to my website www.woodcraftbyscott.com  and just scroll down a little to see the different categories including the one marked DOGS.  Click on it and there will be a drop down box on the right that will list them all in alphabetical order.  Let me know if you have any trouble.

This is great Iggy.   :thumbs:   It looks as if everyone is a winner. We are saving money and you and Mr. Harvey are making money. I do hope you will have more of his patterns because there is some I like that aren't dogs. I am assuming what you have are the dogs I haven't looked at your web site since you posted this.

When you get the chance to look on my site you'll see that dogs only make up half of all the ones that I have.  Lots of animals to choose from.

I know you do a lot of shows. I do about 6 or 7 a year. My question is how do you take all those quzzles bac and forth and when one sells you put out another one How do you find what you need?

IKE

Ike, you ask an excellent set of questions.  I carry my puzzles for display in a large tub with cardboard "shelves" as dividers between layers of puzzles.  See picture.

As far as duplicates, I have those shrink wrapped in advance and have them in another tub.  During my setup for a show I pull most of them out and stack them under my tables for easy access and spread them out where I have room so that if someone wants a DOLPHIN I can grab the 4 extras I have, show them to the customer and they can pick which one they want.

When I sell a display item, if it's something I don't have duplicates of, I shrink wrap that one for the customer on the spot.

I hope that answers what you asked.

post-29379-0-87390100-1483581790_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-04840900-1483581799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

Iggy, it's great that you're going to do this, I just hope that it doesn't end up costing Mr. Byler in the end. Most pattern designers that sell patterns to distributors like The Wooden Teddy Bear, have contracts stating that they will not distribute their patterns in any other way, then through them. Did you ask him if he had any of these types of contracts, he may have forgotten about it if he's been selling to them for years? I will be very interested in what you will have to offer us, is there any way to see what else he might have a pattern of? He might have patterns that don't interest you, but, they might be very interesting to others is why I ask.

Len 

Iggy, it's great that you're going to do this, I just hope that it doesn't end up costing Mr. Byler in the end. Most pattern designers that sell patterns to distributors like The Wooden Teddy Bear, have contracts stating that they will not distribute their patterns in any other way, then through them. Did you ask him if he had any of these types of contracts, he may have forgotten about it if he's been selling to them for years? I will be very interested in what you will have to offer us, is there any way to see what else he might have a pattern of? He might have patterns that don't interest you, but, they might be very interesting to others is why I ask.

Len 

Hi Len, yes I asked him about any contracts, but there is nothing in place to stop him from selling his patterns anywhere else, so we're OK there.  Harvey is rather unhappy with WoodenTB at this point as they haven't been updating his patterns that they send to customers when he sends them modified versions or even new items.

Wooden Teddy Bear has 600 of his patterns on their site.  You can see them all here and by all means check out all of his excellent work.   http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/home.php?cat=100

I'll gather information if you or anyone else is interested in patterns that I don't currently have.  Harvey and I would have to work out how to handle that.

And as a reminder, I work full time, so this won't be a major endeavor for me, I'm just trying to help out a new friend.

Thanks for your interest.

UPDATE - I had a brainstorm this morning... I added SCROLL SAW PATTERNS to my website for easy ordering as well as the ability to run reports to track sales that I can then provide to Harvey along with checks to him.

Let me know if any questions and thanks in advance!

Iggy

https://woodcraftbyscott.com/

That's great news Iggy.  This is a win for everybody.  I get orders all the time about specific breeds, and I always have to tell my customers that it will take 2-3 weeks to get one done if I don't have the pattern.  Getting them right away from you will be a big help, and saving money on those shipping costs will be awesome too.  I contacted someone years ago that I think is related to Harvey (maybe his son?) and he offered to send me patterns directly, but I lost the contact info before I could take him up on the offer and he going to have to snail mail them, so it wasn't a huge improvement over WT, but I always try to order directly from the pattern designers whenever possible knowing that the big pattern houses don't pass on a big percentage of sales.

Steve

I am not trying to get into IGGY'S space but if you want to try this go to scrolleronlinelcom and search Dog Puzzles they have 2 projects on dog patterns 12 different Dog patterns sets of 10 patterns if I remember right it's 8 dogs and 2 other patterns for $12.95 each. That's what I did and them I ordered more from the woodenteddy bear. Now you have IGGY to order from. Just trying to save money . I do appreciate what IGGY is doing. Thank you IGGY.

IKE 

I am not trying to get into IGGY'S space but if you want to try this go to scrolleronlinelcom and search Dog Puzzles they have 2 projects on dog patterns 12 different Dog patterns sets of 10 patterns if I remember right it's 8 dogs and 2 other patterns for $12.95 each. That's what I did and them I ordered more from the woodenteddy bear. Now you have IGGY to order from. Just trying to save money . I do appreciate what IGGY is doing. Thank you IGGY.

IKE 

Hey Ike, as a matter of fact, those are also Harvey's patterns.  That was the first place he started selling them about 15 years ago.  Some of them are older versions of the patterns, for instance the BOXER is completely different looking now, but many are still the same.  Obviously Harvey makes even less off of sales from that store.  But they're certainly usable and cheaper.

That's great news Iggy.  This is a win for everybody.  I get orders all the time about specific breeds, and I always have to tell my customers that it will take 2-3 weeks to get one done if I don't have the pattern.  Getting them right away from you will be a big help, and saving money on those shipping costs will be awesome too.  I contacted someone years ago that I think is related to Harvey (maybe his son?) and he offered to send me patterns directly, but I lost the contact info before I could take him up on the offer and he going to have to snail mail them, so it wasn't a huge improvement over WT, but I always try to order directly from the pattern designers whenever possible knowing that the big pattern houses don't pass on a big percentage of sales.

Steve

I've spoken with Harvey's son also (Harvey Jr.).  Not sure if he has other children that help him with his scrolling business.  But you're right, being that they are Amish, the only way to receive things is via snail mail.  

That's why we're only starting out by offering the patterns I already have on hand.  Otherwise I'll have to get him to send me any others at which point I could scan and email them.  Or of course I could just have Harvey mail them to the purchasers directly, but would take a few days.

I hate to be Mr Gloom and Doom.  I know your heart is in the right place.

I am not a lawyer but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once and I have been around the block a few times.  I just hope Harvey did not sign any agreements with WTB and just forgot.  Many of these pattern shops do sign exclusive agreements on patterns they carry.  By doing this service you now became a competitor of WTB.  An of course you thought about the tax man.  I would hate to see anyone get into legal troubles trying to be a nice guy.