3-D Nativity Scene slightly modified

meflick

Here is my version of the 3-D Nativity Scene from the Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts Winter 2016 (Issue 65) magazine.  The original pattern is by Sue Mey and the one in the magazine was cut by our own Rolf.

I wanted to modify it somewhat so I could add a battery operated votive candle behind it to "light" up the scene.  In order to do that, I added a base to it and added a cutout to the base for the candle to sit in. In hindsight, I would have liked to have found a slightly taller candle to add more "light" higher up behind the halo its self. With my hubby's suggestion as to how best to adhere it all together, I "pegged" the stable to the base and then adhered the scene to the stable with some small pegs behind to set it off slightly from the stable a little more. In order to get the "depth" away from the stable like I wanted, it would have probably been better to have cut two full parts of the scene its self and adhered together for more depth.  I didn't so I just cut an additional star when I decided I wanted to have more depth.  I considered leaving the star open for the light to shine through and I might if I had a taller candle to help lift the light up there..

Thanks for looking and overlooking the newbie mistakes you may see in my cutting. I was able to get it done and gave it to my mother-in-law in the week before she passed.  To her it was a work of art and I hope it brought her some love and peace when she looked at it. I forget which woods I used.  Think it was cedar for the stable and baltic birch plywood for the nativity, unsure of the base, it was some scrap hubby had laying around in the shop so could have been most anything.

post-29734-0-33366900-1484241834_thumb.jpg  post-29734-0-93238700-1484241865_thumb.jpg  post-29734-0-27299100-1484241886_thumb.png  post-29734-0-73038700-1484241907_thumb.jpg

Edited by meflick

This is the first piece that I have seen you post. If you have posted others, I have missed them.. Nicely done, I love the changes you made. your work is as good as expected it would be

Dick

heppnerguy

Yes Dick i've been waiting for some of her work to show up too.Her post on others work are the best so i was anticipating the same to reflect in her work.No complaints here!

Here is my version of the 3-D Nativity Scene from the Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts Winter 2016 (Issue 65) magazine.  The original pattern is by Sue Mey and the one in the magazine was cut by our own Rolf.

I wanted to modify it somewhat so I could add a battery operated votive candle behind it to "light" up the scene.  In order to do that, I added a base to it and added a cutout to the base for the candle to sit in. In hindsight, I would have liked to have found a slightly taller candle to add more "light" higher up behind the halo its self. With my hubby's suggestion as to how best to adhere it all together, I "pegged" the stable to the base and then adhered the scene to the stable with some small pegs behind to set it off slightly from the stable a little more. In order to get the "depth" away from the stable like I wanted, it would have probably been better to have cut two full parts of the scene its self and adhered together for more depth.  I didn't so I just cut an additional star when I decided I wanted to have more depth.  I considered leaving the star open for the light to shine through and I might if I had a taller candle to help lift the light up there..

Thanks for looking and overlooking the newbie mistakes you may see in my cutting. I was able to get it done and gave it to my mother-in-law in the week before she passed.  To her it was a work of art and I hope it brought her some love and peace when she looked at it. I forget which woods I used.  Think it was cedar for the stable and baltic birch plywood for the nativity, unsure of the base, it was some scrap hubby had laying around in the shop so could have been most anything.

attachicon.gifIMG_3101.JPG  attachicon.gifIMG_3102.JPG  attachicon.gifIMG_3105A.png  attachicon.gifIMG_3106.JPG

Well i see your no stranger to scrolling .Well done grasshopper.The gift to mother in law will be in your thoughts forever.I too gave a gift to a man of God that died shortly after.No greater satisfaction on my part to have done so.

VEry nice work!
I don't know if it would help with the lighting or not but, it would be easy to try,

Just temporarily tape or hot glue a piece of aluminum foil to the roof portion

to see if the light will reflect downward off of that. It wouldn't help send any light into the star

but, may add more light to the top portion of the rest of the cutting.

I'm thinking maybe a piece of aluminum foil about 1 1/2 inches wide with a small

fold to attach it to the roof so it is still hidden behind the wood.

Anyway, your cutting and modifications are excellent. Thanks for sharing and God Bless!
Spirithorse

This is the first piece that I have seen you post. If you have posted others, I have missed them.. Nicely done, I love the changes you made. your work is as good as expected it would be

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi Dick.  Yes, I had posted some other pieces I did.  Several of my Intarsia pieces were in the Intarsia category. A few other fretwork/scroll sawing pieces I had shared probably while you were away on your extended vacation before the holidays.  Most all of them that I have shared are also up in my Gallery.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten done as much as I would have liked.  Had great plans for some holiday gifts but didn't get there as I already shared.  Now, I need to get motivated and get back out to the shop and work on some more.  I have several Intarsia pieces cut out - need to do the sanding on them.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and words of wisdom.  It is thanks to all of you who share and post here that I even got brave enough to give this type of scrollwork a try.  I learn so much from each of you who give advice, share your own projects, and ask questions.  I appreciate you all.