Spiral blade suggestion

JimC

I am a relative newbie to scrolling and wanted to try out spiral blades just to see how they work. Since I have never used them before, I was wondering if someone could suggest one or two sizes of blades I should try. I will be cutting mostly plywood that will be 1/2" or less. Thanks.

As you probably already figured out, there are several options, both in size and type of spiral blades. 

For a first time try, I would suggest the flat end spirals.  They are easier to get situated securely in the clamps.  They don't come in the very small sizes like 2/0 & 3/0, but will work fine for practice and general cutting.  Once you get the feel for how spirals cut and are ready for patterns with finer detail, you can switch to something smaller.  Other spiral blades are twisted all the way to the ends and require that you untwist or otherwise flatten the ends in order to get them to seat in the clamps properly.  This isn't a big obstacle, but with the flat end spirals, you have one less issue to cause you problems as you are learning.

I still remember my first experience with spirals.  They weren't flat ended and I had a devil of a time keeping them in the clamps.  They either broke or kept popping out.  I almost gave up on them completely.  I didn't have any problem cutting with them, once I got a blade to stay in the clamp for more then 10 seconds.  After that, I avoided spirals, until I discovered that FD offered them with flat ends.  I got some of them and it was a much better experience.  Since then, I've used the 2/0 and 3/0 New Spirals for really fine detailed work.  The ends untwist fairly easily on them, but be careful, especially with the 3/0.  They are very small and fragile, so it doesn't take much to break them.

Good places to buy them are Mikes' Workshop   https://mikesworkshop.com/collections/blades

or Wooden Teddy Bear   http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/home.php

Both sites owned by the same people.  At Mike's you get a little cheaper shipping but you can only mix sizes of the same type blade to get a gross discount.  At the Wooden Teddy Bear the shipping is a little more but you can mix type and sizes to get the gross discount.  You maybe able to save by buying at one or the other site depending on what your are buying.  I always figure the price at both sites, including shipping to see which is the cheaper way to buy.  Last time I put in an order I was buying a few dozen of several different types of blades.  I saved a little over $6 buying from WTB that time because I could mix types of blades to get to a "Gross" and get the discount.  Confusing, Huh.   I never thought I would buy by the gross when I started, but now I buy a gross or two of my most used blades each time I order them.  Remember blades are expendable, they break, they get dull.  Just part if the hobby.

Edited by Scrappile

for what its worth, I wouldn't use strictly spirals on 1/2" material. Thinner material is ok. Personally, if possible, I would use a #3 or #4 polar blade, then go back & use the spiral blade where ya want to. Ya could use a #3, or thereabouts if ya wanted to. Some have pretty good luck with spiral blades, others don't because of the control factor. They are designed with teeth all around the blade so they will cut in every direction, allowing little movement of the project. 

Personally, I keep a few dozen of every size on hand because I use them for leaf veins, opening up tight spots, feathers, etc. I won't use them on a complete project because they leave a rough look to the project, imo, which leads to more sanding. 

In agreement with others, I would order a dozen of a couple sizes & get the feel of them before ya make your final decision. just my .02.

I am a relative newbie to scrolling and wanted to try out spiral blades just to see how they work. Since I have never used them before, I was wondering if someone could suggest one or two sizes of blades I should try. I will be cutting mostly plywood that will be 1/2" or less. Thanks.

White pine cuts like a dream with a spiral, 3'and 4' long no problem and straight.