DIY "ROUGH SAWN" AGED BOARD

smitty0312

I made this sign this past week, took  standard 1x6's and turned them into aged "rough sawn" boards, no need to break your back tearing apart pallets, used sawz all with wood blade, I secured board with screws on each side do the board didn't take off on me, ran sawz all at a steep angle lightly randomly over board to give it the "planer marks" look.......then took boards to table saw...adjusted fence the thickness of board or a hair wider.......put the board on edge and slid board through tipping board slightly into blade randomly for the blade marks on board......you will have to flip board and run through again because saw blade doesn't go high enough........the Hawkeye sign is the result(3ft x 2ft).......spray painted black 1st 1 coat only......once dry (30 min) sand as desired to expose raw board.......then I made a stencil out of 1/4" underlayment to spray paint the hawk........I was so very pleased with the finished product that I should share it. I want to try tough oil with this look also.....Very Very Simple!!

post-1428-0-69191100-1488722543_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-62569300-1488722559_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-74455900-1488722571_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-72209700-1488722583_thumb.jpg

Edited by smitty0312

I made this sign this past week, took  standard 1x6's and turned them into aged "rough sawn" boards, no need to break your back tearing apart pallets, used sawz all with wood blade, I secured board with screws on each side do the board didn't take off on me, ran sawz all at a steep angle lightly randomly over board to give it the "planer marks" look.......then took boards to table saw...adjusted fence the thickness of board or a hair wider.......put the board on edge and slid board through tipping board slightly into blade randomly for the blade marks on board......you will have to flip board and run through again because saw blade doesn't go high enough........the Hawkeye sign is the result(3ft x 2ft).......spray painted black 1st 1 coat only......once dry (30 min) sand as desired to expose raw board.......then I made a stencil out of 1/4" underlayment to spray paint the hawk........I was so very pleased with the finished product that I should share it. I want to try tough oil with this look also.....Very Very Simple!!

I could not for the life of me figure out what it is .So i reread the post ,Looked at it again and it popped right out .Where will it go?

Great idea and outcome! 

I do a similar thing quite often. I use cheap pine boards (the knotty ones look extra good in my opinion), give them a light coat of latex paint, let that dry, then sand it off a bit to "roughen" it up. Then stain it. Going to have to try adding the sawz all to the process to see how that looks!

The white one has a light stain and the grey one has a darker stain.

post-28784-0-39998200-1488806459_thumb.jpg

post-28784-0-96678100-1488806467_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaseyJ