Flocking ?

I doubt the glue joint would be successful, long term.  Essentially you would be gluing the plaque to the flocking and not the backer.  Best practice is for glue joints to be bare wood to bare wood.  If the pattern allows, I would suggest taping off as many areas as practical, where the plaque covers the backer.  Once you've flocked the backer, remove the tape and you would have bare wood to apply glue to.  

I have done flocking and it's latex paint that you paint on and put the flocking on while the paint is wet. That is the way I have done it. Just giving you a little history in case you don't know. My point is those flocking fibers are weak and they are sticking to dried latex paint which I think is weak. So yes as others have posted you need to get down to bare wood. You might be able to reflock it. Flocking is very easy to do. If I can do it I know it's easy.   :cool:

Sharon, the best way to do it, would be to use some tape to give you access to bare wood after flocking. Take a piece of painter tape, place it on the backer board where it won't be seen when the two pieces will be glued together. Once you've applied the tape, you can apply the adhesive and flocking. The flocking won't stick to the tape, this is what you want. Once the flocking has been done and given a chance to set up, you can then remove the tape revealing the bare wood. It is best if you bend the tape and fold it, so that there is a place to grab a hold of it to pull it off. I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe here, this is what works for me.

Len

If the project is just a wall hanging plaque the glue bond won't need to be super-duper strong (compared to something that will be touched and stressed or a structural joint)

Still I don't think I would risk gluing straight to fibers and latex paint, although I might do a test piece like tuner suggested and play "Conan the destroyer" 

I would do like Lucky suggested and keep some little part of the backer clean. It wouldn't need to be a big piece for a backer, just a small spot that can get a real strong glue bond.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  I thought I probably couldn't do it that way, so, I will take the suggestions of applying the adhesive and flocking to only certain areas (around the sides, etc.).  This is what I'm working on now, but plan to do a large cross next and want to do the flocking for the back of it as well.

post-28699-0-78476200-1489088078_thumb.jpg