Adding another DW788...

Iguanadon

I check Craigslist every so often for any saws for sale and this one popped up. (I know. the ad is gone now... snagged it for $175)

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/tls/6078740549.html

I called the guy to ask a couple of questions.  It's a Type 2 from 2006.  Not used much, and not at all the last few years.  Nice older guy.  My wife and I are headed out the door shortly to go look at it and pick it up if it passes muster.

Since I already have 2 DW788's I'll stay consistent and will always have at least one backup that's operational in the event of a breakdown and I'll be learning how to perform maintenance on them.  I ordered spare bearings and spacers recently, now I just need to set aside a day to take my oldest one apart to lube and replace any parts that need replacing.

My wife is hoping I don't become a scroll saw hoarder...  ;-)

Iggy

Edited by Iguanadon

It that is as little used as it looks, that is a great buy.

If you look at saws often, as I do, It would appear, at least to me, that DeWalts have the best re-sale value of any scroll saw.  I see them for sale a lot and it is usually from $300  to $400 area.  New you can get them pretty consistently if you look around, for <$500.  That is a 60% re-sale.  Take the higher end saws, I see Hegners often for <$600.  that is around a 30% re-sale and same for Hawk saws.  The best used Hegner I have seen recently for sale is asking $680, and I would buy, and travel the 300 miles to pick it up, it if I had the extra cash.  New it sales for $1695 that is a 40% re-sale...  This is the west coast, may be different back east.

If you look at saws often, as I do, It would appear, at least to me, that DeWalts have the best re-sale value of any scroll saw.  I see them for sale a lot and it is usually from $300  to $400 area.  New you can get them pretty consistently if you look around, for <$500.  That is a 60% re-sale.  Take the higher end saws, I see Hegners often for <$600.  that is around a 30% re-sale and same for Hawk saws.  The best used Hegner I have seen recently for sale is asking $680, and I would buy, and travel the 300 miles to pick it up, it if I had the extra cash.  New it sales for $1695 that is a 40% re-sale...  This is the west coast, may be different back east.

You have to be careful making comparisons like that though. That is comparing apples to oranges. Hegner and RBI saws are better quality and maintenance is nothing compared to a dewalt. They are priced accordingly. The people that buy the top of the line saws are more into production work as opposed to hobby. The Dewalt is a very good top of the line hobby saw. Selling the higher $$ saws is tougher just because of the price but if people do their homework they can assess the value more.

The price of that Dewalt could be a good price depending on the condition and time spent on that saw. Seeing first hand and getting to run the saw is a great thing when buying any tool. Good luck. 

The CL post id deleted so you must have bought it.   :cool:    :)   :D

LOL, just got back... 1 hour drive out there.  Yep, got it.  It's in great shape.  No rattles or odd noises, sounds solid.  I'll take it apart and lubricate everything in the near future.

I figure the first one of my 3 saws to break a major part will become a "parts saw" to cannibalize as needed to fix the other two.

Like JT said, being careful how you assess & value a saw is important. Resale value of a 788 may sound good, but take a look at the users that aren't able to get parts for that shiny yellow saw, & all the problems that are constantly asked about in given posts on here. Is that $300 - $400 worth the frustration of having to own 6 of the same saw to keep one runnin'? That sounds like salvage yard thinkin', to me. I may ruffle feathers here, but think about it. And the key comment here is "for sale A LOT." What does that tell you?

I bought a 20 year old 220VS Hawk 2 1/2 years ago with very few hours on it. Nearly mint condition. I put enough hours on it in two years, it was cheaper to just trade it off for a bigger & brand new saw, rather than keep pumpin' money into a dead horse. The Hawk saws are top of the line saws, & a pricey pay out. But what do want to do? Scroll? Or spend your time salvaging parts to run a few more hours?

I know when I call Hawk for parts, they'll have it, & get it out to me immediately. Tech support is superb! And before you completely judge me, I've also got a CW - 40 Hitachi. The first saw I bought new over 20 years ago. Still runs like new! the only thing I've done to it is replace the power switch & vs switch. And they are supposed to be an obsolete saw! I managed to find new Hitachi parts for replacement without any trouble. I also have a 25 year old Craftsman that I use regularly that runs as smooth as a sewing machine, & have never done anything to it. So as you can see, like JT pointed out, money isn't the only thing to take into consideration when looking for a saw, or replacement saw. Enjoy your investment. My apologies if I stepped on any toes. God bless.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

Hey Brad (Scrollsaw703)

Good to hear from you.  From my perspective what I'm doing is covering my bases to ensure I never have any downtime.  Use one DW788 for daily cutting and if/when it fails, starts making noise, whatever... I simply swap it out with another DW788 and then when I have the time, perform maintenance/repair on it.  

I haven't cracked one open yet, but I just received the spare bearings and sleeves I could possibly need and I plan on getting my hands greasy the next rainy weekend.  My first DW788 starting making noises back in December while I was frantically trying to cut puzzles for upcoming shows and I simply bought another one, new and that's what I'm using now.  The noisy one is waiting for me to replace bearings and/or sleeves along with greasing the ones that don't need replacing.  I'm looking forward to learning how to maintain them.  I want to be in a position in which I'm using 1 saw and I have 1 ready to swap out immediately if needed.  My 3rd one will be part of the rotation and when one has a major break such as the motor, the mother board or one of the linkage arms I'll use it for parts only.  

I should be set for a couple of decades now.  ;-)

Edited by Iguanadon

LOL, just got back... 1 hour drive out there.  Yep, got it.  It's in great shape.  No rattles or odd noises, sounds solid.  I'll take it apart and lubricate everything in the near future.

I figure the first one of my 3 saws to break a major part will become a "parts saw" to cannibalize as needed to fix the other two.

Yep Iggy that is using your noggin.   :cool:

And in a couple weeks Iggy, go get another one. Then keep on doing that and should never have any down time. Then again you might not have any room for working.... :razz:

Jim

... I'll have plenty of room cuz Mrs. Ig will leave me and I can then start storing them inside the house.  :-D

I check Craigslist every so often for any saws for sale and this one popped up. (I know. the ad is gone now... snagged it for $175)

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/tls/6078740549.html

I called the guy to ask a couple of questions.  It's a Type 2 from 2006.  Not used much, and not at all the last few years.  Nice older guy.  My wife and I are headed out the door shortly to go look at it and pick it up if it passes muster.

Since I already have 2 DW788's I'll stay consistent and will always have at least one backup that's operational in the event of a breakdown and I'll be learning how to perform maintenance on them.  I ordered spare bearings and spacers recently, now I just need to set aside a day to take my oldest one apart to lube and replace any parts that need replacing.

My wife is hoping I don't become a scroll saw hoarder...  ;-)

Iggy

Aha! your catching up to my junk yard fast .I haven't had to cannibalize a saw yet except for the blade tightening screw's

Maybe it's time for your wife to start scrolling Scott, I am sure you have one scroll saw to spare.  ;)   Great pick up.

Marg

Spring is here, she's thrilled to be planting a garden for the first time in years.  We just moved into this new house and have this empty lot next to us that she had me tilling up and building raised beds the past couple of weeks... I snapped this picture Saturday after I tilled up that large area for her to plant seeds for melons, field peas and wild flowers... I had no idea she wanted a FARM... I thought she just wanted a GARDEN!  :-)

Scrolling would drive her crazy... "Why isn't this thing cutting in a straight line?!?!?"  

post-29379-0-55040300-1491950015_thumb.png

Spring is here, she's thrilled to be planting a garden for the first time in years.  We just moved into this new house and have this empty lot next to us that she had me tilling up and building raised beds the past couple of weeks... I snapped this picture Saturday after I tilled up that large area for her to plant seeds for melons, field peas and wild flowers... I had no idea she wanted a FARM... I thought she just wanted a GARDEN!  :-)

Scrolling would drive her crazy... "Why isn't this thing cutting in a straight line?!?!?"  

Scott stupid question, What are field peas?  I used to love gardening but now Terry likes it more, so I guess it's his job now.  :lol:

Marg