choking guide

I personally would not make one of these.  What will happen if a kid still chokes on a piece even though it fit into the device?  Seems to me that you are doing the governments job and telling them it is not a choking hazard,  seems it would open you up for liability that would not have been there if you just said nothing and let common sense rule. 

not that its a bad idea, just being devils advocate. 

Some materials can fit into the cylinder and still not be a choking hazard.  Further, if your puzzles, etc, are not choking hazards under the Consumer Products Safety Commission guidelines, there is an element of protection from a law suit.  You should never guarantee that something is chokeproof.  Some idiot will try to swallow it just to see.  Adults choke on things all the time.  Little tykes choke on coins and strings etc.  Adults choke on the same things.  

If your product complies with Government minimum guidelines/industry standards, that is a pretty good defense to a lawsuit.  Not 100% but as close as it gets under most circumstances.   

40 minutes ago, zimmerstutzen said:

Some materials can fit into the cylinder and still not be a choking hazard.  Further, if your puzzles, etc, are not choking hazards under the Consumer Products Safety Commission guidelines, there is an element of protection from a law suit.  You should never guarantee that something is chokeproof.  Some idiot will try to swallow it just to see.  Adults choke on things all the time.  Little tykes choke on coins and strings etc.  Adults choke on the same things.  

If your product complies with Government minimum guidelines/industry standards, that is a pretty good defense to a lawsuit.  Not 100% but as close as it gets under most circumstances.   

I always label a puzzle with pieces that fit into the cylinder as a choking hazard - not suitable for children under 3. Other puzzles do not get the warning label.

2 minutes ago, Mark SW said:

Just wondering where the parents are when they purchase items?

Do they not realize that small items can be swallowed?

Just Wondering

Mark

You wouldn't believe the number of parents that will buy a puzzle with choking pieces for their little toddlers. If there is a kid under 3 with them I always remind them that the puzzle has choking pieces. Often they will buy anyway and say "oh he/she doesn't put things in their mouth".

But the kicker was the last show. Sold a Sea Life tray puzzle with lots of choking pieces to a couple with a little kid in a stroller. They took the puzzle out of the package and placed in front of the kid to play with. My wife and I couldn't believe it. Often wonder if they still have all the pieces.