Scrollsaw Picnics

Do they still have any scrollsaw picnics or get togethers any more.  I remember going to a few many many years ago. I remember seeing all the top designers at that time. Such as John Nelson and his wife, Dan and Ray Wilckens, Dirk and Karen Boelman, Rick and Karen Longabaugh, and a few others. I also remember being able to see all the latest saws and scrolling material available all in one spot. There were also a few wood sellers there also. They would have contests for scrolled entries and you got to see so many projects all in one place. It was always a great time. 

Anyone gone to any???

21 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Do they still have any scrollsaw picnics or get togethers any more.  I remember going to a few many many years ago. I remember seeing all the top designers at that time. Such as John Nelson and his wife, Dan and Ray Wilckens, Dirk and Karen Boelman, Rick and Karen Longabaugh, and a few others. I also remember being able to see all the latest saws and scrolling material available all in one spot. There were also a few wood sellers there also. They would have contests for scrolled entries and you got to see so many projects all in one place. It was always a great time. 

Anyone gone to any???

Been a while since i heard of any

Most of these were put on by SAW affiliated clubs and a few vendors (Slones, Art Factory, ect) the lack of interest in SAW and the amount of time required  and expense along with insurance and liliability issues is what I believe has sadly put the "picnics" in the history books. The Art Factory is sponsering a "trade Show" in Iowa in Aug this year. I won't be able to go as it is Friday and Saturday not to mention a 10 hr drive.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

I once lead a demonstration on making toys at a scroll saw picnic, in Denton Texas.  I had a good time, good sales, and had good attendance to my class.  This is where I first met a vendor that had done a very small inlay on a dominos box.  This got me to thinking about it, and have done many, many, inlays since.  Would like to do this again, demonstrating double bevel inlay.