Boxes, Cats, Geckos and more Puzzles

JOE_M

Not all pictured, but after the 9x12 Detlefsens I did a series of 8 Monet's. The Monet puzzles are 8.5 square and are mostly 100 piece jigsaws (with one 99 because I lost count, and one 62 because I wanted to try a different cutting technique.)

I also did 7 or 8 mini 4x6 puzzles with 20-35 pieces each. They were from a book on famous watercolor paintings and can be completed in the time it takes to boil a cup of water for tea.

I think I've got the technique down now - no need for frisket paper or patterns. And I switched from contact cement to 3M Photo mount. Next up I'll be trying a bunch of 12x14 prints from old Arizona Highways calendars.

I made a little cherry box for each of the larger puzzles with a photo of the puzzle glued to the top. The mini puzzles I'm still designing a multi-compartmented box for.

And just for grins - I took a simple cat and gecko profile from google images and made a bunch of fridge magnets. 12 cats (3/16" thick, approx 2" high) in walnut/mahogany/maple/cherry/mesquite and 4 geckos (1/4" thick, 4" long) in walnut/satinwood/mesquite. Easy to stack cut and I drilled a hole in the back of each and glued a rare earth magnet flush with the back. Two cats will hold one piece of child's artwork to the fridge door. The magnets in the geckos are a bit bigger, one of them will hold a phone book. If you switch from the rare earth to the stick-on magnet sheets, these would make quick and easy giveaways.

Also - I'm still looking for a new source for plywood. Every single sheet (bought 10) that I got had voids, some big enough to ruin the piece. I'm looking at Sloan's Workshop but if you know of anyplace else that also sells quality walnut/cherry/maple plywood please let me know.

thanks for looking

Joe

Monet1.JPG

Monet3.JPG

lastgrouppuzzles.JPG

boxes.JPG

Magnet Cats.jpg

cat gecko.JPG

void.JPG

9 hours ago, JOE_M said:

Not all pictured, but after the 9x12 Detlefsens I did a series of 8 Monet's. The Monet puzzles are 8.5 square and are mostly 100 piece jigsaws (with one 99 because I lost count, and one 62 because I wanted to try a different cutting technique.)

I also did 7 or 8 mini 4x6 puzzles with 20-35 pieces each. They were from a book on famous watercolor paintings and can be completed in the time it takes to boil a cup of water for tea.

I think I've got the technique down now - no need for frisket paper or patterns. And I switched from contact cement to 3M Photo mount. Next up I'll be trying a bunch of 12x14 prints from old Arizona Highways calendars.

I made a little cherry box for each of the larger puzzles with a photo of the puzzle glued to the top. The mini puzzles I'm still designing a multi-compartmented box for.

And just for grins - I took a simple cat and gecko profile from google images and made a bunch of fridge magnets. 12 cats (3/16" thick, approx 2" high) in walnut/mahogany/maple/cherry/mesquite and 4 geckos (1/4" thick, 4" long) in walnut/satinwood/mesquite. Easy to stack cut and I drilled a hole in the back of each and glued a rare earth magnet flush with the back. Two cats will hold one piece of child's artwork to the fridge door. The magnets in the geckos are a bit bigger, one of them will hold a phone book. If you switch from the rare earth to the stick-on magnet sheets, these would make quick and easy giveaways.

Also - I'm still looking for a new source for plywood. Every single sheet (bought 10) that I got had voids, some big enough to ruin the piece. I'm looking at Sloan's Workshop but if you know of anyplace else that also sells quality walnut/cherry/maple plywood please let me know.

thanks for looking

Joe

Monet1.JPG

Monet3.JPG

lastgrouppuzzles.JPG

boxes.JPG

Magnet Cats.jpg

cat gecko.JPG

void.JPG

Lots of work here but fun for you!

Some great looking work there Joe.  Do you use Steve Goods puzzle patterns for your puzzles?  I love the cats and the gecko.  You mentioned all the different ply's you are looking for, you are so lucky over there we just get pine and poplar, can't even Baltic Birch any more.  Makes me want to cry. :cry:

Marg

7 hours ago, wombatie said:

Some great looking work there Joe.  Do you use Steve Goods puzzle patterns for your puzzles?  I love the cats and the gecko.  You mentioned all the different ply's you are looking for, you are so lucky over there we just get pine and poplar, can't even Baltic Birch any more.  Makes me want to cry. :cry:

Marg

Thanks. The cat and gecko just came from google image. The initial puzzle pattern came from google, got modified for different sizes by me, and now I don't use a pattern at all. I do have some of Steve Good's stuff but haven't had a chance to try and cut them yet.

It sounds like you have a business opportunity. Go to Alibaba and buy a few cubic meters of good plywood for cheap, cut it down yourself and resell in-country!