Eisenhower Eagle

hotshot

Though most coin cutters out there like to cut out designs that are already a part of the coin, that isn't really my thing.  When the coin is all silver, the contours make up the design, it is a real challenge to see where to cut.  I thought I would try this again, and again, I struggled all the way through the coin, straining my eyes to make out the lines between the shadows and shades of silver.  I must have my light wrong.  If you don't see the bit of metal holding the "earth", it's because I overcut it, then used a black marker to further hide it.  Anyway, hope you like the attempt. 

EisenhowerEagle.jpg

Edited by hotshot

20 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Though most coin cutters out there like to cut out designs that are already a part of the coin, that isn't really my thing.  When the coin is all silver, the contours make up the design, it is a real challenge to see where to cut.  I thought I would try this again, and again, I struggled all the way through the coin, straining my eyes to make out the lines between the shadows and shades of silver.  I must have my light wrong.  If you don't see the bit of metal holding the globe, it's because I overcoat it, then used a black marker to further hide it.  Anyway, hope you like the attempt. 

EisenhowerEagle.jpg

do you use a file to clean it up when finished?

5 hours ago, blights69 said:

Very nice tell me what is the noise level when cutting through these coins is it a ear muffler job lol 

I don't notice it being a lot louder than wood.  My "indoor" scrollsaw is the living room and my family can still watch TV when I saw.  (Good thing about metal, there isn't any flying dust, so you can saw inside without making a mess.)

14 hours ago, wombatie said:

I thought that the earth was a mistake and that you had cut it off, smart thinking coloring it black.  Looks good.

Marg

It's hard to explain overcutting (or floating), but I think it might also be a useful technique in small wood pieces to hide supports.  I actually tilt the coin at a steep angle and holding this angle, I push the part I want to cut into the blade to grind off the top part of the support.

I took a really really magnified picture at an angle so you can see the truth behind the magic.  You can see how the metal toward the surface of the coin has been ground down below the surface where the support is.  The support should have been a little wider so that it would be a little less fragile.  It is however, wider than it looks here, because the top comes to a point

floater.jpg

Edited by hotshot

9 hours ago, hotshot said:

It's hard to explain overcutting (or floating), but I think it might also be a useful technique in small wood pieces to hide supports.  I actually tilt the coin at a steep angle and holding this angle, I push the part I want to cut into the blade to grind off the top part of the support.

I took a really really magnified picture at an angle so you can see the truth behind the magic.  You can see how the metal toward the surface of the coin has been ground down below the surface where the support is.  The support should have been a little wider so that it would be a little less fragile.  It is however, wider than it looks here, because the top comes to a point

floater.jpg

Wow thanks for that Randy, appreciate the explanation.

Marg