Allow me to Introduce Myself

JeffRay42

Hello

I'm from Raleigh, NC. It's a bit of a funny story how I got into scroll sawing.

We live in a large apartment near a lake. After growing a bit bored with geocaching and fishing for several years it was time for a new hobby. I found an old Ford Truck and I thought it would be fun to try to to restore it. Living in an apartment, I would need to lease a garage for the project, and it wouldn't hurt to have the extra storage space. I got lucky and found a small business park about 8 miles from my home that had a 10' x 20' foot space with 20' high ceiling. I secured a lease and went to get the truck. Sadly, or in hindsight luckily the truck was gone.

So here I was with a large space and no new hobby. I thought to myself I always enjoyed woodworking when I was in high school and working and helping my uncles out with their projects, so I'll just set up a woodworking shop. The first thing I did was to build a loft to use as storage, and justify to my wife why we now were paying an additional rent bill. After moving all the storage items in I set out to fill my bottom space with the proper woodworking tools.

My first stop was the local pawn shop where I acquired an old 10" portable table saw. I figured it was good enough to start out with. With my heavily used table saw I set about the task of building my work benches and stools. Once that was complete I looked around at my very empty space and thought okay, I need a band saw, router, radial arm saw, planner, microwave and mini fridge. The microwave and mini fridge was due to the fact that I would be spending a lot of time in my new shop, as my wife was still upset over the additional rent thing.

The next weekend I headed down to the local flea market. I knew there was a vendor there that sold all kinds of clamps and woodworking tools so I figured I might be able to pick up a saw or two on my list as well. Sure enough there was another vendor there that had a table top band saw. Just what I was looking for. Next to the band saw was another saw that I wasn't even sure what it was. Neither saw look like they was in the greatest of shape, so the gentleman told me that I could have both saws for 50 bucks and he promised that they did work. I figured how could I go wrong for fifty bucks. So I bought them.

Sure enough the band saw worked fine. The other saw, of which I still did not know what it was, sat on the workbench unused. Several months went by as I used some of my new tools and built the required jewelery boxes that I think every new woodworker starts out with. It didn't hurt that they helped smooth over the rent thing with my wife.

One day, with a friend of mine at the shop, we decided it was time to take a look at that other saw I bought and see what we could do with it. It had a very thin blade in it, so we figured it would cut thin wood very well. We got out a piece of quarter inch scrap, plugged the saw in, turned it on and it bounced all over the workbench. After clamping it down, we started to cut on the scrap and saw how the saw liked to pull to the right and it just vibrated like crazy. After a few moments we figured maybe the saw just needed some work done. So we proceeded to take the covers off and discovered that one of the screws that held the arm together and made it go up and down had fallen out. After replacing that, the vibration stopped and it sawed very nice.

I looked at the identification plate on the saw and it said Delta Model XXX, 16" Variable speed. Still not knowing what it was, I wrote down the information and looked it up on the internet. Of course you know I discovered it was a Scroll Saw. So I figured what can I do with this. I looked up Scroll saw and saw all the beautiful works of art people were creating with this saw, and that was the start of the love affair. I figured I can do this.

So I bought some blades, bought some books and loaded up with some quarter inch Baltic birch and started to learn how to use the saw. The first projects made some great kindling for my fire place that winter. But I soon got the hang of it. After several nice silhouette projects I wanted a bigger challenge. Unfortunately my very old and very used Delta Scroll saw had other plans. First the upper clamp broke off and then the motor stopped working. I felt like I had just lost a friend. I frantically searched for parts or another saw. None to be had. So I figured I would buy a new one. I was still new to scroll sawing, so I wasn't aware, Delta didn't make the saw anymore. No problem, I'll just get a different brand. Then the sticker shock set in. Five, six hundred, even twelve hundred dollars for these saws. I thought I sunk. I couldn't afford that kind of money. But then I found a Task force scroll saw at Lowe's for 99 bucks. I was saved! I had a new girlfriend!

I know you all are laughing now, but hey, it's not a bad saw. I set out with this saw to do my very first fret work clock. It was to be a wedding gift for a friend of ours. It turned out beautiful. And since that time, I have built a nice Bell Tower Clock for my wife and an American Pride Clock for my parents. I have completed several Victorian fret work boxes as well. All of which has been given away as gifts with lot of pride that I built them myself. It's funny though that I still get asked each time I give one away, or where did you buy this. I have to get out the work in progress pictures to prove that I built it.

Now after 3 years at the scroll saw and still using my Task Force saw, I just sold my first project, or at least have the order for it, as it's not complete just yet. It's the Mill Clock from the pattern offered by Wildwood Designs. One day I may upgrade my trusty old Task Force saw, but for now the love affair continues.

I told you it was a funny story!

Thanks for reading!

JeffRay, Let me be the first to welcome you to the village. Great story, it had me laughing. So glad you found us as I am sure you will have input for folks who may have a question. Please show off your work to us as well cause we all love looking at others work. Again welcome to the Village.

Thanks Messman! After 3 years now my wife is almost over the additional rent thing. Usually only comes up when I renew the lease each year. And couldn't you just see that old Delta Scroll Saw bouncing around on my workbench when I turned it on full speed for the first time without it being bolted down! It was a hoot.

I post photos of some of my work in My Gallery. Would welcome feedback.

JR

Hi Jeff. Welcome to the Village. We're glad you found us. I remember my first saw danced off the workbench too! It was loud and crude. It actually turned me off scrolling for many years. Sounds like you're having a blast with your hobby. Your work looks awesome. I can't wait to see some more. Anyway, welcome aboard. Jump in and have some fun! :thumbs:

Some of Jeff's work:

thumb_GiftClock.jpgthumb_Americas_Pride_Clock.jpgthumb_Belltower_Clock.jpgthumb_Levenworth_Clock.jpgthumb_Valentine.jpg

Thanks Everyone and Thanks Travis for posting my work here. I just put it in the gallery as I wasn't sure how to go about pasting pictures in here. Would really like to hear feedback from fellow scrollers on the projects. I'm working on the Mill clock now, it has an actual working wheel, once the hardware parts come off back order.

One of the big things I'm most interested in is learning more about finish coats and different techniques. I'm considering trying to airbrush the stain on the mill clock project. I've stained the night stand in my pictures using a paint gun and I think it turned out nice.

• 2 years later...