Something freaky happened today.

Dave Monk

A couple weeks ago Sasho posted a picture of a Superman trinket box. It caught my eye so I had to make one for myself but changed it up a bit. Last Friday I posted a picture of my project giving Sasho credit for inspiring me.

My granddaughter saw my finished Superman box and told me that I needed to make a Batman box..........of coarse, I had to make it and got it done on Friday.

Today at lunchtime I got a message from Sasho via FaceBook with a picture of a Batman box almost identical to the one I had just completed, with a message telling me that it might inspire me to make one of these.

How Crazy!

Batman Trinket Box.JPG

Batman Trinket Box Inside.JPG

Dave, Dave, Dave.  Can I be one of your granddaughters.  Your work is what I aspire for.  A couple more projects to complete and then it is learn to inlay like Dave does.  You know you would be outstanding at Marquetry.  Something I would pursue if I wasn't do dang old!

I want to do some stuff kinda, sorta like this http://lumberjocks.com/projects/330585

only using a scroll saw instead of a lathe/carver.  I have been in contact with this gentleman, and he has sent me all the pattern/pictures he used.  I want to make some boxes, wall hanging, I don't know things,, bowls with inlays. 

44 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Dave, Dave, Dave.  Can I be one of your granddaughters.  Your work is what I aspire for.  A couple more projects to complete and then it is learn to inlay like Dave does.  You know you would be outstanding at Marquetry.  Something I would pursue if I wasn't do dang old!

I want to do some stuff kinda, sorta like this http://lumberjocks.com/projects/330585

only using a scroll saw instead of a lathe/carver.  I have been in contact with this gentleman, and he has sent me all the pattern/pictures he used.  I want to make some boxes, wall hanging, I don't know things,, bowls with inlays. 

Paul, It is crazy the craftsmanship and imagination some people have. Thanks for the link.

Hey Dave, where's my "Wonder Woman" box? ;)  I'm with Paul - I want to be like you (and several others on here) when I grow up :) This is just stunning work and you are right - amazing that two great minds think so much alike and make similar boxes.  Maybe one day you can do some "help" videos on how you do your work.  I am always in awe.  Inlay is on the list to "try" one day but I think it will be a little while yet. Thanks for sharing.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:01 PM, Dave Monk said:

A couple weeks ago Sasho posted a picture of a Superman trinket box. It caught my eye so I had to make one for myself but changed it up a bit. Last Friday I posted a picture of my project giving Sasho credit for inspiring me.

My granddaughter saw my finished Superman box and told me that I needed to make a Batman box..........of coarse, I had to make it and got it done on Friday.

Today at lunchtime I got a message from Sasho via FaceBook with a picture of a Batman box almost identical to the one I had just completed, with a message telling me that it might inspire me to make one of these.

How Crazy!

Batman Trinket Box.JPG

Batman Trinket Box Inside.JPG

Judy tenuta says it could happen!

Yeah Inlay as been on my to learn list every year for the past 6 or 7 but I always put it off to try something else.  I even got a EX21 so that I could do Inlay better, but the only way I can get better is if I bite the bullet and do one first.

I love your work and obviously you and Sasho are on the same wave length.  Great work once again my friend.

Marg

On 8/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, meflick said:

Hey Dave, where's my "Wonder Woman" box? ;)  I'm with Paul - I want to be like you (and several others on here) when I grow up :) This is just stunning work and you are right - amazing that two great minds think so much alike and make similar boxes.  Maybe one day you can do some "help" videos on how you do your work.  I am always in awe.  Inlay is on the list to "try" one day but I think it will be a little while yet. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah that would be aweseom, Dave.  a) Wonderwoman, b) a nice video to let us in on secret of "how-to"