Getting Back in Shape

hotshot

42 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Randy, I have missed seeing you coins. My wife and I love Hummingbirds. Which saw do you use to cut your coins?

Dave, this time I used my inside saw, which is the Excalibur, which is continually a joy to use.  I can run the EX saw full out without breaking the Jewelers blades, though I usually run it about at about 3/4.  

When I'm not in a hurry, I may try a few more coins on the Hawk which has less blade travel, which makes some aspects of coin cutting a little easier.  However,  to keep my blades intact, I have to keep the BM slower than I like to cut.

-----Randy

Edited by hotshot

23 hours ago, hotshot said:

I let too much time go without practicing the detailed stuff, so I cut a few simpler patterns to get my "feel" back, and then cut this.  Kind of a tricky pattern, so only second time I've cut it.  First time I cut this, it was by special request for a friend.  This go around, I'll probably put this in the craft store to see if it sells.  

-----Randy

hummingbird.jpg

Smokin job alright !!!

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Really nice work!! I think I might get brave and try one of these someday.. Just curious.. how does cutting those compare to wood? in terms of speed.. You said you run the saw 3/4 speed.. I'd think the coin would build some heat..LOL always figured you'd cut them very slow.. 

As far as heat goes, the more metal you remove, the less there is to dissipate the heat, so it really isn't an issues until most of the material is removed.  I had more issues with that when I first started, but I suspect the CA glue is acting as a lubricant and the better pike blades also probably help.  Now, when it gets too hot, I pause for few seconds to allow the heat to transfer to the table. 

Speed is kind of relative, when you cut one linear inch, that might be 5 or more inside cuts.  So when you cut using high magnification, the pace does not feel that much different than cutting much larger pieces.  I suspect I would be cutting a 5" project in wood in about the same time.  Two nice thing about metal, it is consistent, so you never have to fight the grain, and there is no dust, so you can cut in the house (not on carpet), and with winter coming on, that is huge.  I have my inside saw setup in the living room, so I am right there with my wife and kids so I can listen and partake in the normal everything conversations/life.  Despite the audio in the videos below, the saw if fairly quiet, so it doesn't create a problem for TV/Games/Conversations.  I get enough "me" time cutting my wood projects in the shop.

I have posted these prior, but in case you missed them, here are a few videos so that you can get the feel of the pace of this kind of cutting:

p.s.  I have another new very very different kind of saw, specialized for a different kind of material.  Once I get caught up on my coins, I'll try to break it out and try something that has probably never been seen on this forum before.

Edited by hotshot