Great Day Scrolling

Scrappile

I have had a great day scrolling.  First, I told my lovely wife that Sunday was my day, a long time ago.  I would do as I want... She has respected that with out complaint, and let me be.. because she was quilting!! 

Anyway, I made two improvements to my Hegner today.  I have been on the soapbox about dust collection lately and today I made a major improvement to my set up.  I am a bottom feeder (aka, Carp), so with my dust collection system I have to get it out of the way when I want to go from one hole to the next when doing fret work.  I found in my box of old PVC connections a 3/4" hose adapter, I have had a long time.  I added it to my set up. The hose adapter swivels and allows me to lift the dust collector nozzle up and out of the way and then put it back in place,, no problem!  

Second I added an auxiliary table top to enlarge my table surface.  I love it.  Fixed it so it can be easily removed if necessary.  This is the top I had on my Excalibur so there are some extra holes in it but they do not hurt anything.  I did this in the morning, and scrolled in the afternoon.  Great day, love my improvements.  I also added a picture on an additional advantage to making your own cabinet to put your scroll saw on.. Wife would never think to look here!!  Hee Hee!

Hecner table.jpg

clan .jpg

Nice going Paul, I used to scroll and watch the races at the same time.  Some people have asked me how I could scroll and watch the race at the same time, I tell them no problem, during the time the races were on there is an overload of comericals. I cut while the commericals are playing, you'd be surprised how much you can get cut when watching a whole race.

Len

On 10/8/2017 at 8:42 PM, Scrappile said:

I have had a great day scrolling.  First, I told my lovely wife that Sunday was my day, a long time ago.  I would do as I want... She has respected that with out complaint, and let me be.. because she was quilting!! 

Anyway, I made two improvements to my Hegner today.  I have been on the soapbox about dust collection lately and today I made a major improvement to my set up.  I am a bottom feeder (aka, Carp), so with my dust collection system I have to get it out of the way when I want to go from one hole to the next when doing fret work.  I found in my box of old PVC connections a 3/4" hose adapter, I have had a long time.  I added it to my set up. The hose adapter swivels and allows me to lift the dust collector nozzle up and out of the way and then put it back in place,, no problem!  

Second I added an auxiliary table top to enlarge my table surface.  I love it.  Fixed it so it can be easily removed if necessary.  This is the top I had on my Excalibur so there are some extra holes in it but they do not hurt anything.  I did this in the morning, and scrolled in the afternoon.  Great day, love my improvements.  I also added a picture on an additional advantage to making your own cabinet to put your scroll saw on.. Wife would never think to look here!!  Hee Hee!

Hecner table.jpg

clan .jpg

That bottle of anti freeze will keep you warm!

8 hours ago, wombatie said:

You must have long arms Paul, I would never be able to see where I am cutting from that distance away.  :shock:  A great day in the workshop always makes you feel better.

Marg

Actually I think it looks farther in the picture.  The piece of Masonite I used was what I had originally set up for my Excalibur when I had it.  That is why there are two unused holes at the front corners.  But it is no farther from the blade to the front of the table than an Excalibur is.

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

Your on the right track Paul.   Just wondering if you have considered moving the upper arm stop like I did?   It sure makes threading the blade on fretwork much easier.   Glad to hear you had a great day.

Been looking at that as a next modification.  I want to find a spring first, I'd hate to cut my stop off and then not be able to get it back together and working.  How had is that frame to drill and tap?

The larger table top is a great improvement.

Edited by Scrappile

The frame is cast iron and not at all hard to drill and tap.   Like I said before all the spring has to be is just strong enough to hold the arm in the raised position.   All you have to do is take the original spring to your local hardware store so you can get the same length spring only with lighter tension.   It is really a quite simple modification.   I have been using my saw modified this way for a long time now and very glad I did it.

Edited by stoney