Background making for scroll saw project

alexfox

Looks nice to me :)  Though I do feel like it's a little extra work to do this compared to what I do.. I'll bet it isn't as expensive as my way either..

I typically cut all the inside cuts in my stack cut of portraits.. then I tape a walnut or other contrasting plywood to my stack and cut the backer and portrait out at one time to make them all exactly the same.... That said.. for my portraits like that I use colored foam sheets that I pick up at either Hobby Lobby or Micheal's.. can cut those to size with scissors.. 

Things that are not framed I typically cut my stack then set one of the pieces of the cuttings onto another contrasting plywood and take a small flat washer and use a pencil and stick the pencil inside of the hole of the washer.. I use the washer as a guide to draw a slightly larger pattern of my cutout onto the plywood to make it slightly larger to give it a boarder.. this way the cutting and the backer do not have to match up perfectly..

Nice work you do anyway.. just different methods than I use :)   

1 hour ago, alexfox said:

Here is my variant of making background for fretwork projects

What do you think about it and what do you use for background? 

Stunning work!! What scroll saw and blade did you use to make that, Alex?

Where do you get the backing material (the sticky film)?

Edited by Runa

8 minutes ago, Runa said:

Stunning work!! What scroll saw and blade did you use to make that, Alex?

Where do you get the backing material (the sticky film)?

That stuff looks to me like it's a self adhesive shelf liner.. Many stores carry that stuff.. while I use it to stick the the board then stick my pattern to the shelf liner.. I typically buy clear for that.. but they do have colors and patterns etc too.. 

On 10/13/2017 at 12:46 PM, alexfox said:

Here is my variant of making background for fretwork projects

What do you think about it and what do you use for background? 

I enjoyed the movie,compliments of my neighbors wifi.You enjoy what you do and thanks for this great lesson on backings which i need to improve on.I'll be looking at shelf liner at walmasrt from now on.Good job!