Pretty Stoked!!

smitty0312

My daughter will be in the shop this morning......she has chosen to learn how to scroll saw for a college project........she has to cut 3 things to show progress from the 1st one to the 3rd.......not sure what I should have her cut......going to start with cutting straight lines and curves on scrap wood.......I was thinking a heart, then heart with her Initial in middle, then heart with her 1st name in it........any other ideas?

Edited by smitty0312

Glad your daughter has decided to learn your passion for her school project.  I don't have any specific suggestions but think your idea of having her start with straight lines, curves, points, etc. to learn the basics is good starting place.  Then I would have several ideas of small projects for her to choose from.  Give her the ones you mentioned and maybe some more, or ask her if she has any ideas on what she would like to try and learn.  If they have an interest based on what they are interested in, I think it will "hook" them more often then if they are doing this because Mom or Dad wants me to, or because I had to do it for my class. What we think she might want to "do" may be totally off from what she in facts wants to learn to do with the saw.  If she isn't sure, give her the ideas, show her some ideas from other things you have done, books or patterns you have , etc.  good luck and enjoy the time with her.

Edited by meflick
correct one noticeable typo (but probably more)

I shut down for the Iowa winter.  Unable (and not really interested) in heating the garage.  Will start giving free lesson at our local Veterans Liberty Center.  Have made a 12" x 12" pattern attached to luan ply for practice.  Straight lines, circles, ovals & scroll shapes.

Was thinking that if one or more wanted to continue, I'd make a pattern of intersecting word art with their name.  Thought that would be a good confidence builder, plus something they would be glad to show off.

Look at Steve Good's catalog. He has quite a few relatively easy to make scroll saw projects for first time scrollers. I teach and demonstrate scroll sawing, and quite often start new students on some of his patterns. The "Oven Rack handle is one, this Pot Lid Ducky is another (I usually have them stack cut 2 of these for their first time stacked cuts. But Steve has a bunch of easy patterns that don't take long to make and are perfect for first time students. If the first project turns out OK, then pick one a little harder for the next.  

Teach her to use her fingers to hold down as well as steer the project, with the heels of her hands resting on the front of the saw table.  Most students try to use their elbows and shoulders, which makes it more difficult to make tighter turns and follow curves. Also, she will need to learn that the blade only has teeth on the front and will not cut sideways, no matter how much pressure she applies. Almost every student that I've had seems to want to cut with the side of the blade when they get off the pattern line. Don't just give her a pattern and piece of wood. Show her how to cut by demonstrating how to do it, telling her exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. Even use the same pattern as she will cut, but don't cut any part of the pattern for her. Just use another copy to demonstrate how to do it and only do part of it. Then give her the new piece and set her free.  When my students first start cutting, I make them use the power switch on the saw, and I take posession of the foot switch., so I can stop the saw if I see anything wrong or dangerous happening. After their first piece is cut, I usually, but not always, turn the foot switch over to them. It will depend on how comfortable you are about how well they have learned the basics and are working safely. If she has run a sewing machine before, she will become comfortable with the scroll saw very quickly. 

I would save her first project, then let her cut a few more slightly more difficult and larger pieces and save the last of these. Then, after cutting a few more pieces even more involved, save the last piece. These are the three that she should submit. Scroll sawing takes practice, and you don't become proficient in on day or even one year.  Keep the pattern choices relatively simple with only slightly increased difficulty between each one. Don't give her anything with inside cuts until she can follow outside lines and curves fairly well. I had one student that could not make curves well at all. Time after time, she would steer the wrong way when she reached a curve, especially the more gradual curves. She spent about 6 hours cutting, with several time out breaks, before she got past this problem, but she finally did and can now cut simple patterns quite well, but hasn't stayed with scroll sawing, so she will likely need to start over again if she ever decides to continue. 

Another problem that new scrollers have is that they expect the saw to cut faster, and they push the work into the blade faster than the blade can cut it. It takes them several broken blades before they stop pushing the work so hard. Even my constant coaching about easing up and letting the tiny teeth on the blade do the work. I watch these students, and the one that turns the work backwards very closely, almost 1 on 1, and they don't get the foot peddle until I'm certain that they have changed their ways. Learning to keep their fingers away from the front, cutting side of the blade is another reason why I stay in control, until they stop doing it.

Good luck with your training session. Some pick up the techniques very quickly, and some make you wonder how they got their drivers license. My grand daughter was the fastest learner that I've taught yet. She was 7 when I first taught her to use the scroll saw. She is 18 now, and uses every tool in my shop any time she wants to, with the exception of my jointer and table saw. I let her run them, but only while I watch. She does it safely, but grandpa still isn't comfortable.

Charley