Gulfstream G-550 ornament

kmmcrafts

Got a possible order for 30 of these. I’v been quite busy and haven’t posted many photos and was just posting for a minute so thought I’d share this one I’m working on today plus the cab over semi that cut this morning picture of that one in the pattern request forum. The gulfstream is a pattern I did. 

1D53E2CA-AD4E-4F14-8DE9-B3C65C09A500.jpeg

BBC5F360-8A0A-41DE-85DC-57447B8323B5.jpeg

Edited by kmmcrafts

Well, I'm not certain I'll get the order yet, it was a request and I figured it was something I could sell anyway so I went and made a batch last week.. Turns out the image I used as a reference for the pattern had 8 side windows rather than 7.. and.. I cut out the loading door which the customer didn't like as it made it look as if it was open in flight...so.. I redid the cutting omitting the one window, and the door as the potential customer loved the ornament otherwise.. Just got a reply back that he now thinks the windows are crooked etc.. I just used a 1/16 bit for the windows....

Anyway.. this is the last straw for me on this order as I just don't have time to fool with a perfectionist this time of year.. I think the ornament looks great myself considering what I had to work with.. he sent me pictures of a plane to show me how the windows should look.. first picture he sent to me was after I made it wrong to his standards twice

I hope my reply back to him was as nice and kind to him as possible.. many people wouldn't reply back in this manor..  

This is what my reply to him was.. lets see what he has to say if anything back to me..

"Yeah, I see what you mean, however doing these all by hand will get this sort of results.. All the windows in this was drilled with a hand drill and a #68 drill bit for the front windows 1/16" bit for the side windows.. the front windows I try to make look squared off so I hit it with the saw blade to try to accomplish that look.. rather than have a round hole for a somewhat rectangle shape of what the windows are..  I don't think I can possibly make it any more precise than what I've got here.. I do my best to be as precise as possible but it's still all free hand work.. drilling, sawing, sanding, and even the finish is applied with a brush.. I use a 3x magnifier light to look through so to be as perfect as I can but at the end of the day free hand work is still going to be free hand work.. touch the drill down to the wood and it wants to follow the softest parts of the wood sometimes rather than staying straight and square..

If you are looking for each ornament to be perfect and symmetrical etc. I'd suggest finding someone to CNC laser cut these for you.. however the laser cut items come with burnt edges,  and can smell like a campfire.. I know there are some sellers on etsy that sell laser cut ornaments and may do custom design work too. 

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do these. they was fun to make..  "

Kevin 

2 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

Kevin, these are very nice looking ornaments, getting an order for thirty of them is a nice order to get. How many were able to cut per stack, that had to speed things up?

Len

I stack cut 5 of these on the trial run.. and if the order comes through that will be how many I will stack.. 

16 hours ago, wombatie said:

Very nice and a good order too, maybe/ maybe not.  Some people are never satisfied are they?

Marg

I learned that years ago when restoring old show cars.. some of the slightest imperfections they found somehow.. and they'd bring it back.. most times it was a month or better after picking it up.. probably when they was waxing it, LOL as being the body man and painter.. I knew of more flaws.. but NO paint job in the world factory done or custom aftermarket.. is absolute perfect... there was always two types of people the ones that don't want to walk out and look at it.. ( looks good from across the way they'd say ) or those that would bring a magnifying glass and a magnet to be sure you didn't fill it with fillers etc.. LOL  

2 hours ago, penquin said:

It looks super to me.  There are folks out there that don't understand hand done and they all may not be the same.  Like your answer to him and sometimes we do need to walk

away from some jobs.

jim

Yes, It's good to walk away sometimes.. Honestly I didn't "Need" the order anyway as I am plenty busy.. in fact the order would have put me behind and made to work late a couple nights.. I didn't necessarily walk away either.. I left that decision up to him.. I haven't heard back from him yet.. probably wont.. but never know because this isn't the first time I've made that reply.. and then when they find out it's really handmade.. they like the detailed work much better and couldn't believe it was really done by hand... and most of those customers are now.. repeat customers... if the guy doesn't purchase.. it would be my first time they didn't order because of the very small imperfections..

Most think the work is done from CNC.. 

On 11/28/2017 at 1:28 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Got a possible order for 30 of these. I’v been quite busy and haven’t posted many photos and was just posting for a minute so thought I’d share this one I’m working on today plus the cab over semi that cut this morning picture of that one in the pattern request forum. The gulfstream is a pattern I did. 

1D53E2CA-AD4E-4F14-8DE9-B3C65C09A500.jpeg

BBC5F360-8A0A-41DE-85DC-57447B8323B5.jpeg

super good cutting skills !

Well, Very very surprised.. but.. I just received a message from the customer.. took him awhile to respond back.. I'm guessing he couldn't find anyone else to do the ornaments for him.. Anyway.. I got the order.. of coarse now that I am about 6 clocks and 20 ornaments behind.. LOL Guess I'll be putting in a couple 10 hour days to get caught up and get this order done.. I rarely work overtime.. can't afford to pay myself time and a half let alone double time, LOL

28 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Congrats on the order, if you really wanted it,  I hope you are getting paid up front, RJ 

Yes, always paid up front on orders.. only time I don't take payment up front is during the design stages even then ( provided it's personalized ) many times it's non refundable payment up front for the artwork.. don't typically charge that artwork fee if it's an item other customers might like and I can add it to my inventory..  

Great Job on the cutting. If he had ordered it from Gulfstream it would have cost 1000 times what your are probably asking for this project. I was in this business for many years and if it's an aircraft broker or completion/maintenance center, they made a HUGE amount of money from their customers on their aircraft. It is a nice gift. Don't forget to label the back. You may get some follow on business from the recipient for your excellent work.