hineps

Welcome to The Village Philip. Nice work. I guess you like clocks. :) I guess we are neighbors, well, sort of. I'm about 100 miles to the southwest in Clermont County. 

And congratulations on the new saw. I started with a Craftsman and when I upgraded, boy what a different. Enjoy your new saw and happy scrolling. 

Edited by Dan

Philip, those are some beautiful scrolling pieces.  Looks like you know you way around a scroll saw.  Glad to read that the King is a good saw.  I was a skeptic, I will admit, and sounds like I was wrong. That is a good thing.  The more saws to chose from the better and competition is good. 

50 minutes ago, hineps said:

Neglected to say that I also removed the dust collector .It may be pretty effective but I found it to be a nuisance when top feeding. The design of it looks like it would work. I may put a 1/4" MDF top on the table to get a zero clearance hole and end up plugging all the dust holes off anyway.

Phil

Steve Good did a pretty good video on making an auxiliary top for his Jet saw out of Plexiglass or acrylic. I forget which but you might want to check it out. It's on youtube too. In the process of making it showed how he was able to retain the dust collection holes and that feature works pretty good. Oh, and welcome to the SSV. Glad you came around.

Ray

On 1/4/2018 at 8:23 AM, hineps said:

My wife surprised me with a new 16" King saw for Christmas. After using it some since Christmas I am very impressed. My previous saw was an old Craftsman 20" Professional. The difference is amazing. Very little vibration and the noise level is very low.  I had done some fretwork clocks and a couple chess sets on the old saw that would have turned out much better on the King. First thing I removed were  the top and bottom blade guards. Really enjoy being able to top feed. I was able to center the blade hole up after taking it off to remove the bottom blade guard.  

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.92d6e0566fea239539dfb82517a8d238.JPGIMG_1060.thumb.JPG.ddc8a0b39a7b9d1002440661d7b4892d.JPGIMG_1057.thumb.JPG.a84733d99a13e2a3ece7d66359479734.JPGIMG_1035.thumb.JPG.01894ab82935bc93996f63e35e3c49ee.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

You've been quite busy young man!!!!!!!Beautiful projects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dulcimers were a big reason I bought the first saw. I was looking for a good way to cut the sound holes. They can be pretty elaborate. I haven't tried to sell any of them yet, still perfecting the process. I went thru the re- sawing of the  wood for the tops, bottoms. Used an electric bending iron to bend the sides. Getting an acceptable finish on them has been the biggest hurdle. Building is pretty straight forward wood working.

The clocks are awesome. But what really caught my eye were the dulcimers hanging in the background.  Growing up in St Paul, we had a neighbor who made violins. When it was nice out, he hung his violins on the clothesline after applying a coat of varnish. Whenever, I smell that smell, it reminds me of Mr Kujawa. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but as I said, it brought back memories, and warmed me up on this very cold morning. Thank you Hineps!