Kitten and puppy boxes

Jim Finn

4 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

These boxes are made of pine and measure 8"x6"x3" outside dimensions. The grey in the kitten is corian. This was my first use of corian. Both images are inlaid into the hinged lid 5a4ea8d6aad58_11Kitten.thumb.jpg.412facaf176538f849cb942b7cc418c7.jpg5a4ea8e1bae6c_11Puppy.thumb.jpg.e7f45c335d557659b812089559d58950.jpg

Your sheet metal stars overwhelmed me but now Corian inlay,Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and flawless to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, meflick said:

Jim, these look great. I always love looking to see when you share a new inlay project. How was the corian to cut?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. 

I found the corian to cut slowly and fused together after the cut,  Had to go around twice to get it loose.  I do not care for the look of it.  Too flat.  Not sure I will ever use it again.  Now I know.

8 hours ago, wombatie said:

They are sooooooooooooo cute.  Fabulous work Jim.  I love the puppy

Marg

I like the puppy also.  I made four of them and was showing them to the wife of another woodworker and she said " you need a kitten one also".  So I made two kitten ones.  I need to make more of each before my sales year starts in June 2018.

Edited by Jim Finn

14 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I like the puppy also.  I made four of them and was showing them to the wife of another woodworker and she said " you need a kitten one also".  So I made two kitten ones.  I need to make more of each before my sales year starts in June 2018.

Will you be making them the same colors or different?  The kitten and the puppy I mean.......

Marg

The color depends on what woods I find in my scrap bin, to use.  I do not plan to use any more corian.  These images are  on pine boxes so the oak I used in the bodies contrasts well, but I am not fond of the combination of cedar and oak.  I plan to make cedar boxes, in the future, along with the pine.  I will experiment a bit.11Kitten2.jpg.44925f486d70c4b606823150c632a1e6.jpg5a5228d15c0d3_11Puppy2.thumb.jpg.39f30263c95fb26fba6f11cd8a882fac.jpg

You will notice the puppy image is different that the first one I posted.  I forgot to put in the one walnut spot over his eye.  Still works well, though.  I wanted to get the two colors that were in the oak that I used for the kitty body  so the grain is running vertical, on this one, not my normal way of doing that.