Yard Sales & Auctions

Travis

I saw a thread by Vector about yard sales and got me thinking. Do you buy tools at yard sales or aucitons? If so, what are some of the best deals you found? I found a dovetail jig for $3 and a 1/2 sheet palm sander for $5. I went to a few auctions, but they're full of woodworkers too. The price they paid for used tools you could practically buy new. So Auctions don't work too well for me.

H'bout you. What kind of killer deals did you find?

Picked up the "Scroll Saw Workbook" by John Nelson, brand-new condition, for $2.

Also found a handful of old drill bits for a brace at 50c each.

I think yard sales are your best bet for deals (vs. auctions), but they can get addictive and you come home with stuff you want, stuff you might use sometime in the future, but not stuff you need.

I don't do auctions. I'm in full agreement about the higher prices there. I've never seen a woodworking tool go through an auction for a good enough deal that I'd put my money on it.

As for yard sales:

Craftsman Scroll Saw - $25

Craftsman 1HP router - $12

25 Assorted bar clamps from 2' - 12' - $15 for all

23 C-clamps from 1" up to 14" - $10 for all

Craftsman wet dry vac - $10

Stack of old Shopnotes magazines (42 of them) - $5

Unknown brand miter guage for my table saw with fine adjustments and stock clamp - $2

That's just what I can remember sitting here at the kitchen table. So, yea, I love yard sales. If I have at least a few bucks and some gas in the truck on Saturday mornings, I hit the classified section of the paper first.

• 2 weeks later...

After retirement I became a garage sale junkie 1st 16" scroll saw for $25.00 like new ,2nd even better 18 " vary speed sears scroll saw $5.00,3rd a 20'' sears contractor series for $100 (craigs list) still not enough so a like new 788 DeWalt for $225 (craigs list)so the 1st 16 " one is for sale I think lol.A 10'' sears band saw $20 even though I had one keep the 2nd in the garage,saves up & down stairs.plus many others.I hate the thought of having my own G sale if ever move (grin)John aka qlty

I also am a big fan of Craigs List I have bought tools from there and have found many good deals on wood. Best deal I have ever made was on a 15 inch jet planer. It was hardly used, and had the original blades still in it - and they were still sharp. Got it for $650.00 and a 15 inch maple wood bowl. lol I love my planer! (picture attached)

SQ