Hawk 226 VS (2004 model) Dust

3Dface

28 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Great idea Kevin. I have been toying with the idea of pyrography but when I started looking at what they cost to get a decent burner and all the different tips, I sort of lost interest. I would still like to be able to "dress up" my projects when called for. I may have to sit back and see what all gets written about the subject here on SSV

I have a cheap one that doesn't have any kind of temp change dial and am able to use it with Okay results... now... I also just recently bought at a estate sale a very nice Detail Master with a few pens.. actually a lot of pens.. but that said.. if you watch some videos and do some reading.. you'll find that there really is only a couple different pens that is really even needed.. If you buy a new unit.. most come with a choice of a couple different pens... Many used ones with several pens available on eBay.. 

Unfortunately.. I haven't found anywhere to buy the talent though so I suppose you need to make your own.. 😂

17 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have a cheap one that doesn't have any kind of temp change dial and am able to use it with Okay results... now... I also just recently bought at a estate sale a very nice Detail Master with a few pens.. actually a lot of pens.. but that said.. if you watch some videos and do some reading.. you'll find that there really is only a couple different pens that is really even needed.. If you buy a new unit.. most come with a choice of a couple different pens... Many used ones with several pens available on eBay.. 

Unfortunately.. I haven't found anywhere to buy the talent though so I suppose you need to make your own.. 😂

Thanks Kevin, that will make things easier. And, of course, the talent here is lacking in any kind of imagination. I can copy anything but I don't have an original idea in my head.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Kevin, that will make things easier. And, of course, the talent here is lacking in any kind of imagination. I can copy anything but I don't have an original idea in my head.

They have woodburning patterns that can "supposedly " be easy to follow just like scroll saw patterns... I don't know how hard they might be to do as I haven't tried them yet.. I only use the burner for personalizing ornaments and things..I hope to give a portrait burned project a try one day.. 

Well, after viewing this little video, I just went to Amazon and put that kit in my cart for the next time I have a few extra bucks. My wife let me order that air filter so now, it's her turn to buy something she wants. I think she is wanting to buy a large area rug for our bedroom so that is going to set me back a bit. Oh well, that's why they call it a partnership.

Howdy Gentlemen, 

I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts, prayers and concerns. It truly does mean an awful lot to us! That is the one MAIN reason I stay here is the family type setting, and the welcome feelin' a feller always gets when he's here, no matter what his situation is. You folks are the best bunch of fellers a man could ask for! I mean that from the heart, boys. Not just spittin' out words to see where they'll splatter! 

I've always been the type of feller to help folks where I can to the best of my ability, even when I was trucking. My Father raised me to stop and lend a hand if at all possible, no matter the situation. You never know what you might be steppin' into, but in them days, folks weren't a feared of folks like they are now a days. I cannot begin to tell you the number of tragic accidents I have helped with, womenfolk I have changed a flat tire for, or gave them a jump because they didn't have a set of booster cables. Gave them and their kinfolk a ride to the next town to a motel til the next morning so they could call a mechanic to work on their vehicle. I have stopped for pregnant womenfolk and their husbands right here close to home and brought them to our home so they could call their kinfolk to come pick them up from where ever.

I have been blessed with a wonderful bride, 3 great step children, and numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren, with another grandson on the way. How my bride has put up with my career of 30 years of trucking is beyond me, but she has, and trust me when I tell you, I have put her through hell with it. Snow storms, icy roads, Rain & hail, tornadoes, 2 hurricanes, and years of blizzards and ice. She is 18 years to my senior, but she is my rock, gentlemen. The last 15 years I was on the road I was out anywhere from three weeks to two and a half months. It pulls hard on a marriage. Somehow we made it.

The woodworking was all her and our Sawbones' idea. They seemed to think I needed a stress reliever for the 36 hours I was home. My Sawbones told me when him and Mary Ann made this executive decision, that if I didn't stop thinkin', eatin' breathin', & drinkin' trucks, there was goin' to be a mighty small funeral right here in St. Francis. Mine! He said I'd best take heed to what they were tryin' to do for me!

So, I tried to slow down a little, and not knowing a damn thing about wood or woodworking, my bride marched me right down to our meager little library, and I began huntin' books on wood species, woodworking, tools for woodworking, and took them books along with me on the truck to read on my sit time. Some of them I read more'n once. When I got back in, I returned those books, and found a few more. Some on scroll saw projects, blades, routers, etc. 

About a month later, my loving bride had it set up for us to go and have a look see at some used tools. This feller had passed on, and his bride had some of his construction tools up for sale. Weren't nothin' fancy, but I didn't want anything to shiny because I was just a greenhorn then. He had a Craftsman RAS, a miter saw, Craftsman router with a few burnt up bits, a square, a palm sander, a Craftsman circular saw, a single speed Craftsman scroll saw, and a few other odds and ends hand tools. We wound up with the whole lot for $200. A decent buy we thought. Everything worked. I still use the sander and miter saw. The RAS finally bought the farm. And we have since replaced it, and added numerous other tools to our arsenal. Probably more than I will use the rest of my life.

The point of all this is, it ain't about what's in your shop or how shiny your tools are, it's about the friendship and the camaraderie we have amongst us to support one another when we need pickin' up and holdin' up. The listenin' ear that is always there when one of us need it, a shoulder to lean on when the time comes. We don't know one another personal like, but we are all here because we are interested and involved in scrolling. This gives us a common bond to start with, and from there, friendships begin to build like wild fire! And it is an awesome thing to see! I enjoy everyone here, and have personal contact with a few of you. Please, don't hesitate to email me or pm at anytime. Your thoughts and support are always welcome and very much needed right now. 

Thank you for allowing me to ramble. I apologize for the length of this. I hadn't planned on this bein' so drug out, but it is. Thank you all very much again for your support and thoughts! We sincerely appreciate you all!

Brad & Mary Ann.

8 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy Gentlemen, 

I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts, prayers and concerns. It truly does mean an awful lot to us! That is the one MAIN reason I stay here is the family type setting, and the welcome feelin' a feller always gets when he's here, no matter what his situation is. You folks are the best bunch of fellers a man could ask for! I mean that from the heart, boys. Not just spittin' out words to see where they'll splatter! 

I've always been the type of feller to help folks where I can to the best of my ability, even when I was trucking. My Father raised me to stop and lend a hand if at all possible, no matter the situation. You never know what you might be steppin' into, but in them days, folks weren't a feared of folks like they are now a days. I cannot begin to tell you the number of tragic accidents I have helped with, womenfolk I have changed a flat tire for, or gave them a jump because they didn't have a set of booster cables. Gave them and their kinfolk a ride to the next town to a motel til the next morning so they could call a mechanic to work on their vehicle. I have stopped for pregnant womenfolk and their husbands right here close to home and brought them to our home so they could call their kinfolk to come pick them up from where ever.

I have been blessed with a wonderful bride, 3 great step children, and numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren, with another grandson on the way. How my bride has put up with my career of 30 years of trucking is beyond me, but she has, and trust me when I tell you, I have put her through hell with it. Snow storms, icy roads, Rain & hail, tornadoes, 2 hurricanes, and years of blizzards and ice. She is 18 years to my senior, but she is my rock, gentlemen. The last 15 years I was on the road I was out anywhere from three weeks to two and a half months. It pulls hard on a marriage. Somehow we made it.

The woodworking was all her and our Sawbones' idea. They seemed to think I needed a stress reliever for the 36 hours I was home. My Sawbones told me when him and Mary Ann made this executive decision, that if I didn't stop thinkin', eatin' breathin', & drinkin' trucks, there was goin' to be a mighty small funeral right here in St. Francis. Mine! He said I'd best take heed to what they were tryin' to do for me!

So, I tried to slow down a little, and not knowing a damn thing about wood or woodworking, my bride marched me right down to our meager little library, and I began huntin' books on wood species, woodworking, tools for woodworking, and took them books along with me on the truck to read on my sit time. Some of them I read more'n once. When I got back in, I returned those books, and found a few more. Some on scroll saw projects, blades, routers, etc. 

About a month later, my loving bride had it set up for us to go and have a look see at some used tools. This feller had passed on, and his bride had some of his construction tools up for sale. Weren't nothin' fancy, but I didn't want anything to shiny because I was just a greenhorn then. He had a Craftsman RAS, a miter saw, Craftsman router with a few burnt up bits, a square, a palm sander, a Craftsman circular saw, a single speed Craftsman scroll saw, and a few other odds and ends hand tools. We wound up with the whole lot for $200. A decent buy we thought. Everything worked. I still use the sander and miter saw. The RAS finally bought the farm. And we have since replaced it, and added numerous other tools to our arsenal. Probably more than I will use the rest of my life.

The point of all this is, it ain't about what's in your shop or how shiny your tools are, it's about the friendship and the camaraderie we have amongst us to support one another when we need pickin' up and holdin' up. The listenin' ear that is always there when one of us need it, a shoulder to lean on when the time comes. We don't know one another personal like, but we are all here because we are interested and involved in scrolling. This gives us a common bond to start with, and from there, friendships begin to build like wild fire! And it is an awesome thing to see! I enjoy everyone here, and have personal contact with a few of you. Please, don't hesitate to email me or pm at anytime. Your thoughts and support are always welcome and very much needed right now. 

Thank you for allowing me to ramble. I apologize for the length of this. I hadn't planned on this bein' so drug out, but it is. Thank you all very much again for your support and thoughts! We sincerely appreciate you all!

Brad & Mary Ann.

Brad, I very much agree with most everything you said here. The one thing I picked up on, and I know it's not meant as an insult, is that you keep talking to us "fellers" and "boys" and "men". Well, there are quite a few ladies who hang out here too and I know they are as caring as we MEN are. So, you might just think a bit about including them in your future posts. Please don't take any offense at me saying this. It is only meant to bring attention the ladies on Scroll Saw Village. We ALL love you and Mary Ann.

Edited by octoolguy

On 10/27/2018 at 11:06 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Brad, Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling all that great.. I sure hope you can get to feeling better and be able to get out in the shop to make some sawdust... I've been wondering the last few weeks where you been and how you been doing..  

Reading through the post here.. and Ray mentioned about wood carving.. I've never tried that but I also just wanted to say that one can do wonderful woodwork with just a cheap ol wood burning kit too... which is something you can probably do right in the house without making a big sawdust mess.. though they might smell up the house like a campfire you may want to put a fan in the window and suck the smoke out.. anyway.. just a thought..

Praying for you to get to feeling better 

Howdy Mr. Kevin, 

Good to hear from you, my friend. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, Sir. Things have been kinda hectic around here since the end of July, to be right honest about it. My bride had her knee scoped, and started physical therapy. Then managed to get herself dehydrated and passed out on me three times in one day. The third time she passed out, she went down on her right knee, the one that had been scoped 5 weeks earlier. When she hit the floor, it made a  loud "pop" and she was unresponsive. So, I called an ambulance and they took her to the hospital. Her knee was ok, just bruised, but she was severely dehydrated. Our Sawbones pumped 2 liters of fluids in her, and said her sodium level was extremely low. We moved physical therapy from here at home to the hospital, and the longer that went on, the worse her pain become, so we wound up seeing her surgeon. They done some imaging of her knee, and it is sitting bone on bone. Now we are preparing for a complete knee replacement. Two weeks ago, I tore my back up perty good. I tied into a couple of boxes that were bigger than I anticipated they were, and I had to tote them up steps into the house to boot. By the time that was over, I was in bad shape. So I have been going to PT myself. And being involved with these online classes I am taking, I don't have much spare time to hardly think, much less get to the shop. I miss getting back on here to see what everyone is up to and the projects going on. How have you been, my friend? Bought any "new" scroll saws lately? Keep in touch. Brad.

Howdy Mr. Ray, 

you have a good point, Mr. Ray. My sincere apologies to the womenfolk. It weren't intentional,  I had  just been chattin' you, Mr. Ray, and Mr. Chris, and just never thought about it, I reckon. I'll see to it I change that in the future, Mr. Ray. Thank you for bringin' that to my attention, and no offense taken, my friend.

Brad.it

3 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy Mr. Ray, 

you have a good point, Mr. Ray. My sincere apologies to the womenfolk. It weren't intentional,  I had  just been chattin' you, Mr. Ray, and Mr. Chris, and just never thought about it, I reckon. I'll see to it I change that in the future, Mr. Ray. Thank you for bringin' that to my attention, and no offense taken, my friend.

Brad.it

I knew it was just an oversight. Brad, you're the best and we all know that you meant no "slight" in your writing. Please do keep writing. I for one enjoy reading it.

Howdy Mr. Ray,

Thank you Sir. 

Make no Mistake, Sir, I don't aim to ramble on like I do, but here I kinda feel like I am able to just relax and "chatter" if that makes sense. I ain't the best at talkin' about things, but I can put it in words a lot easier. And, most times it gets drug out longer than it needs to be.:( It is embarrassin' at times, Mr. Ray, but my few rocks in the pond need clearin' out sometimes, ya know what I mean? 

Thank you for your kindness, My friend.

Brad.

39 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy Mr. Ray,

Thank you Sir. 

Make no Mistake, Sir, I don't aim to ramble on like I do, but here I kinda feel like I am able to just relax and "chatter" if that makes sense. I ain't the best at talkin' about things, but I can put it in words a lot easier. And, most times it gets drug out longer than it needs to be.:( It is embarrassin' at times, Mr. Ray, but my few rocks in the pond need clearin' out sometimes, ya know what I mean? 

Thank you for your kindness, My friend.

Brad.

Well, from what you have described as your back problems, I would think just sitting back and doing some "chatting" on your computer is the best therapy in the world. And, there are always folks here who have nothing better to do that "chat" with you. I just hope you get better real soon so you can get back to cuttin'.

Ray, 

I appreciate that, my friend. It takes some time for these back injuries to mend. As bad of shape as my back is in doesn't help the situation, either. Physical Therapy and careful movements, ice, and prescribed meds, as bad as I hate those, are the best that can be done at this point. If a few weeks of PT doesn't work, then we go to the next step. Which means seeing a back & spine sawbones. And that usually ends up meaning surgery of some sort, and I ain't fond of that idea neither. Bt what has to be done, has to be done, I reckon. It is getting tougher and tougher to find a Sawbones that wants to help you instead of just cutting into ya and then saying 'Well, we did the best we could." 

The surgeons that done my first back surgery in Johnstown, Colorado were the best! One of them was a long time back and spine sawbones, and was a founder of the stem cell research. His partner was a Veterinarian before he went back to school and went into the stem cell research and spinal part of his career. Them to fellers had me up and and walkin' in less than 8 hours after surgery. My second one was done by a feller that supposedly trained under Pettitine, my first surgeon, and after he retired, this other fella bought his practice. I'd a just as well of had our local vet done the back surgery as that greenhorn! Whatever he done in there, I ain't been right since! My Insurance paid it, and I was back to see him for one check up, and told him he ever come at me with the thoughts of a knife on his pea brain, I'd be the last  one he ever cut up! That was in 2016.

I ain't had much trouble til now. I reckon I 'll get along ok. it just takes some mendin' time. My back is in such bad shape from all the trauma from the meningitis, and the 30+ plus years of bein' beat to death truckin' it's a wonder I've got a back left! I hope to try to get back out to the shop this week yet. At least for a few hours. I have a project on white oak ready to drill entry holes in, and a dream catcher I need to bead thongs for and hang feathers on for a friend of mine that just recently lost her Ma. She asked me to create a catcher for her. I have the feathers already cut, I just need to get them on thongs and hung on the catcher. 

The other project is for a ranch here in the county. I've got a bulls' head on white oak, then I'm goin' to cut their brand in white oak as well, and inlay the two in a 20" x 20" walnut plaque with the ranches' name cut in frontier lettering across the top. I am givin' serious thought to using some of the leftover white oak, and making a frame of sorts around the outside of the the walnut before I shoot it with clear lacquer and gloss clear coat. I haven't decided yet. It would hide the ends of the walnut if I did it that way. What are your thoughts, folks? Let me know. I am interested to hear what you think about this project. 

Thank you again for allowin' me to bend your ear a little. I sincerely appreciate it.

Brad & Mary Ann. 

11 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Ray, 

I appreciate that, my friend. It takes some time for these back injuries to mend. As bad of shape as my back is in doesn't help the situation, either. Physical Therapy and careful movements, ice, and prescribed meds, as bad as I hate those, are the best that can be done at this point. If a few weeks of PT doesn't work, then we go to the next step. Which means seeing a back & spine sawbones. And that usually ends up meaning surgery of some sort, and I ain't fond of that idea neither. Bt what has to be done, has to be done, I reckon. It is getting tougher and tougher to find a Sawbones that wants to help you instead of just cutting into ya and then saying 'Well, we did the best we could." 

The surgeons that done my first back surgery in Johnstown, Colorado were the best! One of them was a long time back and spine sawbones, and was a founder of the stem cell research. His partner was a Veterinarian before he went back to school and went into the stem cell research and spinal part of his career. Them to fellers had me up and and walkin' in less than 8 hours after surgery. My second one was done by a feller that supposedly trained under Pettitine, my first surgeon, and after he retired, this other fella bought his practice. I'd a just as well of had our local vet done the back surgery as that greenhorn! Whatever he done in there, I ain't been right since! My Insurance paid it, and I was back to see him for one check up, and told him he ever come at me with the thoughts of a knife on his pea brain, I'd be the last  one he ever cut up! That was in 2016.

I ain't had much trouble til now. I reckon I 'll get along ok. it just takes some mendin' time. My back is in such bad shape from all the trauma from the meningitis, and the 30+ plus years of bein' beat to death truckin' it's a wonder I've got a back left! I hope to try to get back out to the shop this week yet. At least for a few hours. I have a project on white oak ready to drill entry holes in, and a dream catcher I need to bead thongs for and hang feathers on for a friend of mine that just recently lost her Ma. She asked me to create a catcher for her. I have the feathers already cut, I just need to get them on thongs and hung on the catcher. 

The other project is for a ranch here in the county. I've got a bulls' head on white oak, then I'm goin' to cut their brand in white oak as well, and inlay the two in a 20" x 20" walnut plaque with the ranches' name cut in frontier lettering across the top. I am givin' serious thought to using some of the leftover white oak, and making a frame of sorts around the outside of the the walnut before I shoot it with clear lacquer and gloss clear coat. I haven't decided yet. It would hide the ends of the walnut if I did it that way. What are your thoughts, folks? Let me know. I am interested to hear what you think about this project. 

Thank you again for allowin' me to bend your ear a little. I sincerely appreciate it.

Brad & Mary Ann. 

Hey Brad, I'd like to see a sample of your work so I can get some idea of what you are talking about. I know what a dream catcher is but I don't recall ever seeing one that you made. Do you have any pictures to post?

Howdy Mr. Ray,

I'll see about gettin' one on here for you to have a look see at this evening. Just for you, my friend.:) You can also google my facebook page sawdust have - st.francis, kansas and it'll take ya right to it. You can see all my work right on that page, Sir. Have a look see at it &  let me know your thoughts.

Brad

3 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy Mr. Ray,

I'll see about gettin' one on here for you to have a look see at this evening. Just for you, my friend.:) You can also google my facebook page sawdust have - st.francis, kansas and it'll take ya right to it. You can see all my work right on that page, Sir. Have a look see at it &  let me know your thoughts.

Brad

Will do Brad. I think I might have checked it out before but I can't recall. Old age sucks.
Ok, just checked it out and I did see it before. I left you a couple of messages. You do some fine work. I'm very envious of your talent. I DON'T envy you your health problems though. Stay strong, keep pedalin' and you will eventually get back in the saddle.

Edited by octoolguy

Howdy everyone!

I sincerely hope this finds everyone in good health and spirits, & primed for the oncoming week end!:) Thank you again for all your comments and interest in my work. My interest in Native American culture goes back a long ways. I have studied the American Indian since I was a young feller, and have done many written reports about several tribes, their life styles, way of life, freedom, the harmony amongst the tribe as a whole. Their means of survival, how the elders made the decisions for the tribe. 

Not to mention the fact that several years ago, My Ma and her sister spent two years doing endless hours doing genealogical research on our family history as far back as the 1700's. On my Father's side there is a lot of cowboy history. Cattlemen, horsemen, ranchers, farmers, and of course, truck drivers. 

On my Ma's side, they found farmers, Cherokee Indians, some German blood lines, more farmers, steel workers and welders, and, wait for it, yep, more truck drivers. My great, great, great Grandfather was a Cherokee Indian Chief. Mom and my Aunt even located a picture of him, his wife and two sons. We have that photo in our family history records. Long story short, I have some Cherokee blood running through my veins, like it or not, I carry it with great pride. Our people endured a great amount of suffering, family loss, and severe mistreatment moving from their native lands of the Carolinas to the Reservation lands in Oklahoma territory. Treaties were broken, starvation was forced on our people, small pox infested blankets and clothing were given to the Cherokee and other Native Bands on the trail in order to kill the tribal folks. The tribal medicine men had never seen or heard of these diseases amongst their tribes, therefore they had no medicine strong enough to fight off the white man's diseases. The mortality rates were high among the numerous tribes on the trail, including women and children. By the time the bands reached the Oklahoma Territory, their numbers had fallen by nearly half, and the sickness was running rampant throughout the People. White Dr's were beginning to treat them as they could, and bury them faster. After 6 months of this, control of the situation began to come to light, organization started to come together among the People, and tribal grounds were beginning to be assigned to the different tribes. 

If you know anything at all about Native American History, The End Of The Trail has an important meaning in our History. The true meaning of it is the final arrival at the tribal lands in the Oklahoma Territory, and the sense of survival and freedom. The Cherokee Warrior on the Horse in the real picture is supposed to be pointed west to indicate the direction of travel they came to the tribal reservations from the east. If you see a pictorial view with the horse and warrior facing a different direction, the artist had no idea of the history he was painting, nor the true meaning of the art piece. I have an original piece hanging in my office that is over a 100 years old. I would be glad to post a picture of it if anyone is interested in havin' a look see at it. 

In the meantime, I have taken a couple of pictures of the dream catcher we have hangin' above our chairs that I made in memory of our middle daughter when she passed three years ago. 

The catcher itself is cut in cherry. The Dragonfly is maple, and glued to the catcher. Miss Bonnie was a Dragon fly nut!;) A little about the feathers. The feathers hanging right in the center, there are four in that bunch. One for each one of her children. They are cut from barn wood, poplar, cherry, oak, beetle kill pine, & walnut. The outer single feathers hanging around the bunch of four in the center represent Bonnies' grandchildren. Those feathers are cut from oak, cherry, and poplar. Mary Ann & I done the thongs and bead work ourselves. I done all the scroll saw work myself. 

There ya have it, I reckon. One of my catchers to look over and comment on, folks. Hopefully it's to your liking. We get a lot of compliments on it here in the house. One of the most common things folks say about it is they can't believe the feathers aren't real because they're so close in detail to a real feather. They cannot believe they are wood. What's your thoughts and opinions on the feathers?

Have a look see and leave your thoughts. I am anxious to hear what ya think about it!

Thank you for takin' time to have a look see.

Brad.

WIN_20181102_120745.JPG

WIN_20181102_120840.JPG

WIN_20181102_120809.JPG

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

Thanks Brad for posting the pics of your work. They are great. More interesting though is the story behind them and your family history. I love reading that stuff. Also, for anybody who loves to read and read non-fiction, there is a great book out about how badly the Osage Indians got screwed over when oil was discovered on their little piece of Oklahoma. The name of the book is "Killers of the Flower Moon". You won't regret reading it. I couldn't put it down.

40 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Thanks for your post Brad. I love your work. Even more I love the history you write. I love History. My family is all Germans who came out of Russia during the Bolshevik up risings. I have a friend who is half Choctaw. Keep posting Brad.

My sentiments too Les. I have always loved history and it's a shame they stopped teaching it in school.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Honest History has long been forgotten in schools today. If you ask a middle school or high school student how they like their history class? Their usual response is "what history class?" What folks do not realize is, here in the real world, history does, for a fact, repeat itself. If Our own history isn't believable enough for your mind to comprehend, pull up a chair and read the Bible. Everything that took place in that Book front to back, is beginning to happen again. It's not a matter of belief, or luck, or politics. We as human beings cannot seem to find a happy medium in life and then greed sets in, then the next thing ya know, we have all out chaos. Think about it. 

History is the only true redemption we have to our past, and to our future. The more of it ya study, and the deeper into it you get, the more fascinating it becomes. But all that will never be taught in school again like it was when we were in school, men. There is to much other crap these schools are trying to teach that is of absolutely no value to anybody. Enough said about that.

Most of my projects are based on my History knowledge, and love for the Native American Indian, and the American Cowboy. I have made everything from dreamcatchers to Native Americans on horses to buffalo heads to Native American Chief portraits to boots, tractors, combines, semis, animals, and figures. I enjoy cutting western history and Native American Pieces the most because in my part of the world, not many folks do scroll work at all. There are a few around that call themselves "wood workers" but everyone has their own idea of that. I don't claim to be any better than the next fella, but I have acquired enough experience, imo, over 25 years of self taught scrollin' and wood workin experience', I can cut a fairly straight line. I think.🤔 

Two major things I have learned over the years is to be a perfectionist, and to take great pride in my work. I have always been a perfectionist, even when I was trucking. If the project don't suit me enough for sale or show, I'll do my best to fix it, and it becomes a gift for someone from us for their birthday, anniversary, etc. 

I'd like to think my pride shows in every project I cut. Even the finish work. I want a shine on the face of my projects that is an attention getter so folks will enjoy what they are looking at. Why put all the time and effort into it if you're not going to make an effort to draw attention to it? All my cuts are clean, precise, and as exact as possible. The design I started with is the end product. I ain't able to say much more than that, I don't reckon. I'm hopin it don't come across soundin' to conceited or "holier than thou," but that's just the way I am, folks. 

Thank you again for takin' time out of your day to look over my post. Look after yourselves!

Brad.

About six miles from my home in North Dakota there is the Whitestone Battlefield. General Sully came from Minnesota and massacred many women and children after they were rounded up in a coulee from which they could not escape. Most of the braves escaped. Sully then destroyed over one million pounds of buffalo meat and hides. Everything was destroyed. In the twelve years I spent in school nothing was ever taught about it. People visited the place. There was a very nice small museum and picnic area and a monument with a small plaque. I went back to visit there about ten years ago and took lots of pictures. When I returned home I Googled the site and finally learned what it was all about. Wish I had been told the significance when I was a youngster.

56 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Thank you Gentlemen.

Honest History has long been forgotten in schools today. If you ask a middle school or high school student how they like their history class? Their usual response is "what history class?" What folks do not realize is, here in the real world, history does, for a fact, repeat itself. If Our own history isn't believable enough for your mind to comprehend, pull up a chair and read the Bible. Everything that took place in that Book front to back, is beginning to happen again. It's not a matter of belief, or luck, or politics. We as human beings cannot seem to find a happy medium in life and then greed sets in, then the next thing ya know, we have all out chaos. Think about it. 

History is the only true redemption we have to our past, and to our future. The more of it ya study, and the deeper into it you get, the more fascinating it becomes. But all that will never be taught in school again like it was when we were in school, men. There is to much other crap these schools are trying to teach that is of absolutely no value to anybody. Enough said about that.

Most of my projects are based on my History knowledge, and love for the Native American Indian, and the American Cowboy. I have made everything from dreamcatchers to Native Americans on horses to buffalo heads to Native American Chief portraits to boots, tractors, combines, semis, animals, and figures. I enjoy cutting western history and Native American Pieces the most because in my part of the world, not many folks do scroll work at all. There are a few around that call themselves "wood workers" but everyone has their own idea of that. I don't claim to be any better than the next fella, but I have acquired enough experience, imo, over 25 years of self taught scrollin' and wood workin experience', I can cut a fairly straight line. I think.🤔 

Two major things I have learned over the years is to be a perfectionist, and to take great pride in my work. I have always been a perfectionist, even when I was trucking. If the project don't suit me enough for sale or show, I'll do my best to fix it, and it becomes a gift for someone from us for their birthday, anniversary, etc. 

I'd like to think my pride shows in every project I cut. Even the finish work. I want a shine on the face of my projects that is an attention getter so folks will enjoy what they are looking at. Why put all the time and effort into it if you're not going to make an effort to draw attention to it? All my cuts are clean, precise, and as exact as possible. The design I started with is the end product. I ain't able to say much more than that, I don't reckon. I'm hopin it don't come across soundin' to conceited or "holier than thou," but that's just the way I am, folks. 

Thank you again for takin' time out of your day to look over my post. Look after yourselves!

Brad.

Brad, I wish you lived a bit closer to me. I'd enjoy sitting on the front porch with you for a while and just "jawing". I had no idea of the insight that you possess. I'd love to hear your background stories. And to think that you are so much younger than me, I'm humbled.