Really dumb question #9 - Mounting

new2woodwrk

Ok, I'm stuck :(

I've cut a bunch of things and have no idea how to mount them.

For example I have this plate I want to hang (bottom image).:

small-plate-extra.thumb.jpg.102db98104e7a9d956593bb8f2eef7da.jpg

Once I glue the silhouette to the frame then what? Do I add another piece of wood behind that making it even thicker? Do I add  a piece of cloth?

Every time I think I have it figured it out it gets too thick and looks dumb having a gap between the front rim and the backing :(

Links to a tutorial or instructions would be great!

Thanks in advance

Edited by new2woodwrk

There is no right or wrong way of doing things just many ways to do it. I would cut the rabbit ears off and let the inlay sit within the front piece and then cut a backer piece just about 1/8" to 1/4" larger that the front piece so that it shadows the piece and you can paint the center a different color or just stain it all a different color than the front piece. Next one I would make the front piece thicker than the inlay. 

You can make the front and back piece the same size and just router the edges to relieve the thickness look somewhat. 

You can rabbit around the opening on the back side and inlay the colored piece and just add a backer

Layers do not mean anything. 

Also on something like that I would give the customer an option as to hang on the wall with a saw tooth hanger in the back or other type hanger and also use a photo easel. I do this with my claddagh clocks. They have the option to hang on wall or I make a stand for them to display and is included. You can buy the stands.  

Large Claddagh Clock.jpg

656Scroller_s_Clock-med.jpg

if you want wood grain as a backer i use the same wood,

if  it is painted whatever color i use 1/16" melamine. it takes enamel and leaves a smooth texture. at lowes here it is $14 for 4x8' sheet,. but be sure to control the dust it can be nasty/

luan makes a lightweight backer you can stain any color.

Not sure this applies to your project.  I normally cut the fret piece out of 1/8".  Use a 1/4" backer.  Drill I & saw an oval, horizontal slot near the top for hanging.  That allows finding a place in the slot where it hangs perfectly straight, flat against the wall.  That's why I have never had the desire to use a saw tooth hanger.

jerry