Dewalt DW788 Rebuild

OldSkewl

Just starting to rebuild a 788 I picked up. Ordered the bearings and sleeves as suggested in previous posts, short of some wear on the screws (to be replaced) and some sloppiness around the smaller bearings the unit seems to be in good shape. I had a question about the large, sealed bearing on the motor end of the "con rod assy" (connector rod assembly? Part Number 286280-00). Should this have a loose fit between the bearing and the rod? I can move the rod almost a quarter inch in and out  of the bearing. Pretty sure if I worked it enough, the rod would come right off the bearing, leaving the bearing attached to the counterweight. Is this normal? Thanks

No. Absolutely not. On mine, the bearing was not extremely tight but it didn't move like that. I still had to "knock" it out with a hammer and punch but it wasn't difficult. I keep an eye on mine. I think the connecting rod is stretching on all of the saws and it allows the bearing to loosen up. I'd purchase a new rod. I think it might come with the bearing installed. Not sure. That could be your vibration if you are chasing one. On my saw, I found the other end of that rod had come loose. After tightening the screw I solved about 99% of my vibration but I still went through and checked all the bearings and sleeves. Be sure to get some good synthetic grease. You can get a one pound can on Amazon for about $12 if I recall. I used a pipe cleaner to grease everything. No need for the injector needle that Bob Brokaw used. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Ray

You know what would be nice if you take photos of what you are doing or anyone for that matter to document it for others to see and refer to. seems there are many Dewalt users here and they seem to be constantly looked at and worked on. It would be nice to archive some photos of work being done on them. 

Maybe this thought can be applied to other saws as well if you have to do major surgery on them. Just a thought and I have plenty of those. :)

I sort of disagree with adding more pictures etc of what you’re doing on a DeWalt. Mainly because there is several videos already out there and linked in several post topics. Just my opinion but if Bobs 4 part videos aren’t enough to learn about rebuilding a DeWalt saw then you probably shouldn’t take it apart yourself. 

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You know what would be nice if you take photos of what you are doing or anyone for that matter to document it for others to see and refer to. seems there are many Dewalt users here and they seem to be constantly looked at and worked on. It would be nice to archive some photos of work being done on them. 

Maybe this thought can be applied to other saws as well if you have to do major surgery on them. Just a thought and I have plenty of those. :)

There is a four part video series on youtube done by Bob Brokaw of the Gwinnette Woodworkers that is by far better than any pics. At least for me. I downloaded all four of them and made them into one movie using Windows Movie Maker. I refer back to it all the time. But, I agree that pics of some or all of the other saws might be beneficial to others here. I'm mechanically oriented so I have to "fix" everything that comes along. Even when it doesn't need fixing.

R

This old girl needs a lot of TLC ☺

I'll try to send some pics of the problems as I move along with the rebuild. 

Bob's video already helped ... who woulda thunk the motor shaft bolt was reverse threaded LOL

See the pics for:

1. Both sleeves show hammer marks from the bearings

2. The screw shows flat threads. Sleeve and bearing must have seized. 

3. Looking at both pics you can see the travel of the bearing in the connector rod

The sleeves and screw are from the lower head. Some of bearings are worn flat.

And I'm just starting. Kinda hard to do stuff by flashlight when the power is out

Nice to see very little sawdust in the machinery20180504_174400.thumb.jpg.195cc9e271cb813fd385000ebc15508f.jpg20180504_174353.thumb.jpg.365403d40cecf4ef403f105d01dcd212.jpg

How old is your saw? Is it a type 1? Looks like it was used hard and never serviced at all. Mine is a type 1 and it was in much better shape. How much vibration did you have? I'll bet it was noisy. You'll love it when it's all back to where it should be. If it were me, I'd replace all the bearings, sleeves and probably the screws too. And the main drive rod too.

R

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I sort of disagree with adding more pictures etc of what you’re doing on a DeWalt. Mainly because there is several videos already out there and linked in several post topics. Just my opinion but if Bobs 4 part videos aren’t enough to learn about rebuilding a DeWalt saw then you probably shouldn’t take it apart yourself. 

I would rather look at a couple of pictures rather than watching a boringly Long video!

Ray, it's a type 1. Pretty loud and after a few seconds the upper and lower heads would want to meet and bend the blade. Lots of reasons to rattle and' the counerweight came right off in my hand. Now to find online Dewalt parts in Canada. Bearings have been ordered from bearingscanada.com as per the list provided on an older post

6 minutes ago, OldSkewl said:

Ray, it's a type 1. Pretty loud and after a few seconds the upper and lower heads would want to meet and bend the blade. Lots of reasons to rattle and' the counerweight came right off in my hand. Now to find online Dewalt parts in Canada. Bearings have been ordered from bearingscanada.com as per the list provided on an older post

There is another source for the bearings here in the U.S. if you run into problems. Good luck with your rebuild.

R

VXB.com and the lady to talk to is Vivian at ......vivian@vxb.com