Geetings from Alaska

Paul L

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this...in fact so new that my scroll saw I bought will finally be here tomorrow.  I bought a Dewalt 788 and ordered it through Lowe's to avoid shipping costs.  I am looking forward to scrolling as I have been watching endless you tube videos on the subject and watching many make their wonderful projects.  Since I am retired, I wanted a good hobby in the winter and I do enjoy working with wood.  I have a few books now on patterns and how to learn to scroll.  Found this site through the Inkscape tutorial (which is greatly appreciated).  Again, hi to everyone!

Hey Paul,

You'll have plenty of questions and this is the place to get answers. One of the first things to consider is blade choice. The ones that come to mind are Flying Dutchman, Pegas and Olsen. My personal choice is Flying Dutchman Polar, been using them for more than a decade now.  I would suggest getting a sample pack of each kind to find what works for you. Other than that...scroll on.......

Chris

Thanks all for your kind words...I know I will have many questions as I get going but I am looking forward to scrolling.  It is something that looks fun and relaxing.  Will be setting up a temp area this weekend for my saw.  Then I will use various blades as suggested, to start the practice patterns for a bit.

Welcome to the Village from East Tennessee Paul.  Congratulations on your new saw.  Enjoy it and be sure tp participate here regularly.  Lots of experienced users more than willing to help out as someone needs.  Lots of projects and inspirations here to try from the beginner level to the advanced.

Welcome from sunny and warm Arizona. You have the right idea about learning the saw with some practice patterns. It should give you a good way to get to know your saw. Blades are the most important part in gaining confidence and success with your new venture. So glad you chose our site to join up with. Once you start knocking out some scroll pieces you will find that you will be amazed at how well you can do with it. Scrolling is a continual education. One never gets to a place where he or she knows everything there is to know about this subject. That is the part that I enjoy because it keeps one humble. Just have fun. Explore all the corners of this site and most of all ,,,  log on often so everyone can know more about each other. I guarantee that you will be glad you did that,

Dick

heppnerguy

On May 9, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Paul L said:

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this...in fact so new that my scroll saw I bought will finally be here tomorrow.  I bought a Dewalt 788 and ordered it through Lowe's to avoid shipping costs.  I am looking forward to scrolling as I have been watching endless you tube videos on the subject and watching many make their wonderful projects.  Since I am retired, I wanted a good hobby in the winter and I do enjoy working with wood.  I have a few books now on patterns and how to learn to scroll.  Found this site through the Inkscape tutorial (which is greatly appreciated).  Again, hi to everyone!

Paul, welcome to the village, good choice, the only thing is that you can stop once you have started, LOL, I have a couple of DW-788, it is a good saw. Try to get good blades, Flying Dutchman are excellent, patterns are available in the Village gallery. Steve Good has a good pattern catalog as well, welcome on board.

Thank you all...I have been to Steve Good's website looking through his free patterns there.  My Olson and Flying Dutchman blades just arrived.  I also been looking through this website's patterns and there are some very nice ones here.  I  have some wood now to practice with.  Don't worry, the questions I have will come as I go along and I appreciate everyone's help.