Smoothing The Saw Table

Rockytime

I guess smoothing is the wrong word. Slick is more appropriate. I wax the table with Johnson paste wax, first applying the paste with a small cloth, giving a bit of time to dry and then polish with a shop cloth. It did not seem slick enough. I had a aerosol can of Amway Wonder Mist  Silicone. I've had the can for over 50 years sitting on a shelf. I sprayed the table a couple of times and it made quite a difference. I don't know if it is yet available but I am sure there are similar products in hardware or box stores.

1-20180601_145430.jpg

Howdy Mr. Les. I use wax paper when I've got a project on the saw. But, in between that, I use Johnson's paste wax on the saw deck. I let It dry til it has a white haze over it & then wipe it off, & buff the the deck with a soft cloth. I use Johnson's paste wax on all my saw decks.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

17 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have a clear acrylic extended top on my tables and I do not have to wax it at all. Just keep the dust off now and then. It gives me just enough resistance that the wood does not slide around too easily. Gives me better control. That is the way I like to cut. 

I have thought of that option. I have thought of counter top material.

Rockytime, I thought the guy that bought you Hawk a while back was going to teach you how to polish your table top.  I've been kinda watching posts to read if that happen or not.  I'm curious how he does it. 

I have always read that silicone is not good... do not know from experience though. 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, dgman said:

Les, it is well known in the woodworking world that silicone contamination can affect  some finishes. What finish can be affected I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t take the chance.

One thing I've always heard/read, is that airborne silicone from aerosols can linger for a long time and contaminate wood surfaces that don't even come in direct contact with tables sprayed with silicone.  It supposedly causes fish eyes in finishes and is very difficult to get rid of.  I've read a few horror stories of guys who had silicone contamination in their shop.  Might all be an internet myth, but I'd rather play it safe.  Plenty of other products out there that provide the same benefit, without the risks.