Making Sanding Mops

Rick Kr

I'm new to scroll sawing and recently made a puzzle for my granddaughter (photos posted in the Introductions forum).  This is a question I posted there also, but it has not received any comment, so I am posting it here. 

Here is the question:

I recently learned of sanding mops and watched a video on how to make them.  I have a good assortment of the hook/loop sanding media (Mirca AutoNet, 5" disk and 2 3/4" strip) and am considering making a couple of grit levels.  Does anyone have experience with making mops in general and with this sanding media in this application?

Thanks,

Rick

I  have made 2 large mops from Klingspor Gold paper using a homemade jig to hold a stack of sheets while cutting the "fingers" using my bandsaw. Steve Good's post from a few years ago was pretty much what I did. With the cost of the paper and the fact that it ruined the bandsaw blade, and the time it took, the savings were fairly minimal in my mind. I might do it again when I have a used blade that would need replaced afterward. Or use a cheap Bosch blade from Lowes ($10 for a 96 inch) that fits my saw. I have a 180 and 220 grit mops

mop sander.JPG