Making Checkers

trackman

1-1/4" dowels and cut to thickness. Use walnut and maple or mahagony and maple. Add design if you want to. Can scroll it in or if you have a lathe use that. You can use a circle cutting jig, a router or scrollsaw them out. Use a router to add design. Use a rosette cutter for design. That is about what I have for you. good luck. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I make them out of dowels.

A table with a jig to hold the dowel and a stop block and you can cut dozens in just a few minutes.

To get colored pieces, I use stain or diluted paint, throw half the pieces in a bag or container, dump the stain, strain off the extra and wipe dry.

Another option is to paint a dowel, then cut the pieces. You end up with a nice colored edge and wood top.

I am the official game piece maker at school. Any time a game is missing pieces they bring it to me to fix.

Hummm, I would do it on a lathe, and as the part off each piece, I'd cut a recess on one side and a small rabbet on the other so I could stack two together when they are "kinged".    Well, maybe I wouldn't be good enough with the lathe to do it, but I would think about....😏

Edited by Scrappile