First Projects - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 3:51 PM, Rockytime said:

I don't cut anything exotic, just things that I happen to like. The star of David was the first piece I cut. It was for a little friend for Hanukkah. She could paint it. She is a beautiful Chinese little 11 year old who was born missing one chromosome. This leaves her a little slow. Perhaps like a six year old so she is in special ed. She loves little puzzles so I cut little things for her wile my wife supplies her with girly things.

The second photo is more of an example of what I like to cut. I don't sell anything and my shelf is getting crowded. I'm probably the only one around here that likes them. They can be given away when there is a sale of my estate which I hope isn't soon. 😁😁😁

1-20160923_142055.jpg

1-20180708_134558-1.jpg

Sorry; I cannot even remember for sure what my first scrollsaw project was --It was sometime in November or December of 1953!

I do think that gives me some excuse for not remembering. It was probably a very small bird with a wire in the bottom for my grandmother's house plants as an ornament.

I do sell some things; but always seem to give away more than I ever sold.

I do like the VAC Case and the portrait of "Old Abe" in the quote I copied! I had a VAC for about 10 years; fantastic little work horse!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, jerry1939 said:

This was my first ever scroll saw project, but it needs to be explained.  I have worked with my hands most of my life.  Built 2 motorhomes in my earlier days, as well as various machines and/or improvements.  Took a woodworking class at a trade school & built an oak desk.  Time & patience mean absolutely nothing to me.

The clock was cut with a $69 Performax saw from Menards.  Not visible is the pedestal that made the total height about 6 1/2'.  It was given as a housewarming gift to our son in Des Moines, Iowa.

To you nice people that hesitate to start what looks like a challenging/difficult piece, just remember it is always 1 hole & cut at a time.  It doesn't make any difference if it takes 7 months (as this did), or you start 1 or more projects per day.  The amount of sawdust is the same either way.

jerry

Clock1.JPG

beautiful project and beautiful words.  Very very true.  I'm looking to start a longer term project like this.  I guess You could say I'm being pretty picky about it before I start lol.  Don't want to get 5 months into a disappointment if that makes any sense.  Again, very very beautiful work.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

First project. Version 1.08. Had to quit working on it before I broke it. A guardian angel for a red haired woman whose eyes would pop if they matched a ice blue gown. She recently lost her Mom and believes that her Mom remains her guardian angel. I took the photo after I leaned it up on the back window of my car. Crazy how the picture reveals the cloudy skies above. Paerfect flying conditions for guardian angels.

20190521_195359.jpg

Edited by Rapid Ron
Misspellings.

My first, Guardian Angel (v. 1.08). For a red haired, blue eyed woman who thought an ice blue gown would make her eyes pop. Five different wood types used of different thicknesses for that "touch feely" sensation. Her mom recently passed and believes her mom remains her guardian angel. The project was placed on the rear window of my car. It turns out that the cloudy skies ate reflected in the mirror background. Perfect flying weather for guardian angel's.

20190521_195359.jpg