First Projects - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

I got hooked on the scroll saw when my wife wanted the words Live, Love, Laugh made out of wood to hang on the wall. She had seen some in a local store for $25 each. I took at look at them in the store and they very cheaply made. I told her I could make them for less and they would look better.

At the time I had no idea how I was going to do it as I was not a woodworker . I made my first set of words using a jig saw but there was way too much sanding involved, so it was back to the drawing board. I discovered the scroll saw and I made another set of the words and I was hooked. The words are still on our wall.

DSCF4828.jpg

I don't know if I have my 1st piece, I doubt it. My 1st cuttings I did many years ago when the kids were just nippers. I wanted to make them some wooden jigsaw puzzles. I cut a couple using a coping saw and a fret saw, but thought there had to be an easier way. We had an old Russian sewing machine built like a battle ship. I converted it into a scroll saw (Before I new such beasts actually existed) and cut my kids and their cousins quite a few puzzles.

Edited by John B
spelling

• Travis unpinned this topic

I have been a woodworker from early grade school as my Dad was a woodworker and had me making things when I was in grade school.

I made lots of furniture with fancy backs and kick plates, lots of ginger bread, clocks that I cut with jig saw or fret saw.  I even had a old Craftsman one speed scroll saw that will bounce off the table if you don't clamp it down.  I never knew that there was pin less blades and why the table tilted until I took a course at the Durham Woodworking Club some 8 years ago.  

I did the wolf head below (it extends out about 1/4 inch).  That was on a Saturday and over the weekend I researched scroll saws and on Tuesday I order a EX-21 and by Friday it was up and running and as they say the rest is history.

IMG_7549.JPG

16 hours ago, rjweb said:

Ray,

that marquetry is beautiful, why haven’t we seen more of that, very nicely done, RJ 

I'm easily sidetracked. Since getting involved in scrolling, I have been acquiring all the needed "stuff" to have fun in the hobby. I took that class, bought everything I needed, including a second pattern but got off the track somewhere. I now have 3 saws, don't know how to use any of them to any great degree. But, I have a fully stocked shop and some great wood. Now, if I can just get my wife to leave me alone I might get something done. We just got back from a trip to Alaska that has been on her bucket list so, maybe, I'm going to get some peace. Ha!

14 hours ago, agentC said:

So I feel out of place with my boring word art after seeing everyone else's amazing first projects, but my first "official" project was to cut out names for my kids to decorate.

20180810_210825_resized.jpg

And a darn fine job too. Welcome to the SSV. I hope to see more of your work.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:15 AM, don in brooklin on said:

I have been a woodworker from early grade school as my Dad was a woodworker and had me making things when I was in grade school.

I made lots of furniture with fancy backs and kick plates, lots of ginger bread, clocks that I cut with jig saw or fret saw.  I even had a old Craftsman one speed scroll saw that will bounce off the table if you don't clamp it down.  I never knew that there was pin less blades and why the table tilted until I took a course at the Durham Woodworking Club some 8 years ago.  

I did the wolf head below (it extends out about 1/4 inch).  That was on a Saturday and over the weekend I researched scroll saws and on Tuesday I order a EX-21 and by Friday it was up and running and as they say the rest is history.

IMG_7549.JPG

My first scroll saw project was the same as Don's except that I did mine eleven years ago:

148121586_ScrollSawWolfthatImadeforEthan-2-small.thumb.JPG.734f97738eab1a6cc8da3527413afc92.JPG

Also, like Don, I have been woodworking forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been Scroll Sawing for about six months now. I have always had a interest in woodworking since high school, where I took a couple classes. I had been a very good boy so I got a Scroll Saw for Christmas. I had. No idea what a scroll saw was, or what it could be used for. I did a little research and quickly was hooked. This was my first project I did, which I gave to my Brother In-Law. He likes Dragon Ball-Z, added his initials which is DB.

IMAG0216.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally new at this... I bought my saw (Delta) less than  a month ago.     My first cutting, oh my what a mess, not going to show that anywhere.   From it I learned many things, notably: 1) photo-reducing a pattern makes it really hard to cut, 2) oak with its wild grain is not a good thing with a spiral blade in the hands of a beginner, and 3) "scrap" oak with a huge warped cup to the stock is seriously hard to control!   I think I redefined the words "wobbly cuts" on that mess.   

The next thing I cut was this little trivet, out of half inch cherry, and using a skip tooth blade.   I learned that cherry is really hard wood!    Linseed oil finish.    I can't wait to start something new, now...

trivet-cropped.jpg

Well here are my first 2 scroll saw projects ever. Plan on painting these with an airbrush that I don't have yet. Might as well learn them both at the same time. I had fun making these. The squirrel project definitely challenged me . Just used scrap plywood. Patterns from the book wildlife patterns by Lora Irish.

20180906_050333.jpg

Here was my first scroll saw project. The pattern/plan was from a wood working magazine, but I don't remember which one (old age). Nor can I remember the designers name.  I was happy with it at the time and my mother still has it up in her place. I'm guessing, but this must have been done about 1992 or 1993.

ScrollWinterScene000108.jpg

43 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

Here was my first scroll saw project. The pattern/plan was from a wood working magazine, but I don't remember which one (old age). Nor can I remember the designers name.  I was happy with it at the time and my mother still has it up in her place. I'm guessing, but this must have been done about 1992 or 1993.

ScrollWinterScene000108.jpg

Very nice. I take it that's all inlaid?

• 2 weeks later...