use it or lose it

I haven't even touched a scrollsaw for around a year.  I have no idea what made me think I could cut something today with any skill.  I would be cutting a nice straight line and all of a sudden the blade would take of in a direction of it's own choosing.  It's almost as if a gremlin was periodically bumping my elbow.  Now that I think about it it would of made a whole lot more sense to practice on something easy instead of something I wanted to give as a gift.  Sorry about tis post, I just had to vent somewhere and I thought you folk would understand.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, kraftsmanmike said:

I am cutting 3 pieces of 1/8 in walnut using a Flying Dutchman #3 blade.  As to why it has taken me so long to get back to cutting all I can say is I have other hobbies also and life was messing with me

I'm just glad to hear it was that and not some life threatening illness or such. We all have times when we have to set aside our hobbies in order to attend to what life throws at us. My interests seem to find many ways to deviate also. And there is my wife too.

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Perhaps you could purchase your wife a nice new broom so she could follow you around the shop and dust and sweep after you. That would be nice togetherness.

If only you knew how close to home you are Les. My wife is the consummate "clean freak". She wears me out just watching her flit around the house cleaning and dusting and washing clothes and whatever. Actually, I'm trying very hard to get her interested in scrolling. I certainly have enough saws now.

Hello Mike! I completely understand what you're saying. I've been out of my shop since December. I had two heart attacks & a lung embolism, and man, it has just flat taken the fire out of me. I've finally been released by both my Sawbones. They said I passed the their physical requirements, and my meds are all on track. But we had a nasty hail storm here 3 weeks ago, broke alot of windows around town, destroyed acres of wheat in the county. Around my shop, it looked like a bunch of monkeys stripped the trees and let the leaves and branches hit the ground! I was cleaning up some of that mess, it was nearly 100* that day. And I over did it. We spent 3 hours in the ER that evening with severe chest pain, the works. I took a chewin' out from My Sawbones. She told me I couldn't do that anymore. So, now I'm trying to keep my bride off  her legs until she has knee surgery in a couple weeks. It seems like life just throws one horseshoe after another at us. Keep your chin up, Mike. Your skills will come back to you before ya know it, my friend. God Bless.

10 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Hello Mike! I completely understand what you're saying. I've been out of my shop since December. I had two heart attacks & a lung embolism, and man, it has just flat taken the fire out of me. I've finally been released by both my Sawbones. They said I passed the their physical requirements, and my meds are all on track. But we had a nasty hail storm here 3 weeks ago, broke alot of windows around town, destroyed acres of wheat in the county. Around my shop, it looked like a bunch of monkeys stripped the trees and let the leaves and branches hit the ground! I was cleaning up some of that mess, it was nearly 100* that day. And I over did it. We spent 3 hours in the ER that evening with severe chest pain, the works. I took a chewin' out from My Sawbones. She told me I couldn't do that anymore. So, now I'm trying to keep my bride off  her legs until she has knee surgery in a couple weeks. It seems like life just throws one horseshoe after another at us. Keep your chin up, Mike. Your skills will come back to you before ya know it, my friend. God Bless.

Brad, someone famous once said "a man has to know his limitations". I think it might have been Clint Eastwood. Whatever. The gist of it all is what matters. Until you are back to 100%, don't try to do the things that you used to take for granted. If a tree branch is lying on the ground, let it lay. It won't cost anything to let it stay there for a while. Do what is important. Keep yourself and your wife happy and healthy. Everything else can wait. JMHO!

Hello Mr. Ray!:) That is good advice, my friend! I appreciate it. My bride finally talked me into havin' the folks that look after our yard go over to the shop & do the clean up work & spray for weeds. My shop is directly across the street from our house. 

About 20 years ago, I hauled in 5 loads of 3\4" rock from a quarry at Windsor, Colorado for my landlord to put in his yard. They came home from Arizona that spring, and decided they were takin' out all the grass on the property, & puttin' down 3/4" rock. He had a fella with a sod cutter come in, they got rid of all the grass, & I had two loads dumped along the curb waitin' on him to get after it. Before it was over, it took 7 loads to cover his complete yard. He done it with a wheelbarrow, a shovel, & rake. As soon as he had two loads about moved, I was on the way to get him another one. I was haulin' grain at that time, & was loadin' corn here at home goin' to Greeley, CO. then went on up to Windsor, CO. & load rock on my grain wagon & bring it home for him. Now we fight the damn stickers & weeds that come up in the rocks. Thanks for the advice, Mr. Ray. Believe me my friend, I found out the hard way I ain't got the snort I used to have, but my mind is still tellin' me I do. I just have to be careful. Thank you for your worry, Sir.

2 hours ago, kraftsmanmike said:

I am also at that age where the mind says I can do that and my body says what the f--k were you thinking

It happens to me all the time. But I find that if I keep moving and don't sit for too long at a time, it sure helps. I feel very fortunate that at 75 I can still do what I can.