Hawk Saw Maintenance Today

kmmcrafts

Well I finally found some dry lube spay for preventative maintenance and a small can of 3 n 1 general purpose oil.. I had oiled up my saw in the past but probably not the best method since I used regular oil rather than the dry lube for the back cam and front tension parts of the saw.. so I used some break cleaner to clean up all that oil mess I had going on.. then used the dry lube in the recommended areas and a couple drops of 3 n 1 oil on the bearings in the arms..

This took a good 10 minutes to do wasn't quite enough shop time.. so I then waxed the table.. seen how dirty / dusty the rest of the saw was including the stand etc.. so.. what was a few minutes in the shop turned into a whopping 20 minutes to dust and wax the whole saw including the stand etc.. she was dirty.. even though every day I use my shop vac to clean all around the saw and the dust off the saw etc.. still was dirty.. maybe with all the wax on it the dust will just fall to the ground LOL... Probably not but.. anyway.. sure wish oiling the bearings etc. on my DeWalt and Excalibur was that simple...

After it was all done.. I gave it a couple of test runs... amazing how smooth the tension lever moves etc now I have that cleaned up and slick with some dry lube so the grime won't tick to it..

Now my 226 setting there all dirty.. guess I better do that one too.. then I notice the DeWalt and Excalibur, bandsaw and table saw felt left out.. before you know it a whole day of cleaning saws has taken place.. and not much wood products made.. 

I did the same thing to my Hawk 226 last week. When I had it apart I noticed the wedge was rounded over a lot. I rubbed both sides of it on some sandpaper on a board and flattened it back out. I had been having problems holding tension on the blade and that seems to have cured it. I did notice the part of the arm the wedge sets in isn't as sharp a v as it once was so someday I will send it back to Bushton and have them rebuild it.

1 hour ago, Oldmansbike said:

I did the same thing to my Hawk 226 last week. When I had it apart I noticed the wedge was rounded over a lot. I rubbed both sides of it on some sandpaper on a board and flattened it back out. I had been having problems holding tension on the blade and that seems to have cured it. I did notice the part of the arm the wedge sets in isn't as sharp a v as it once was so someday I will send it back to Bushton and have them rebuild it.

I did the same thing with the wedge when I first got my older 220VS and it has been working great ever since.. yesterday while cleaning etc I did it again.. as it was just starting to round a bit..  I do need to send my arm in at some point..