wood selection

agentC

Hello all, first I want to say thanks so much for the friendly welcome to the site, I am really looking forward to learning all that I can from everyone!

I wanted to ask about wood selection for projects. What are your preferences for types and thicknesses of wood and does different types/thicknesses work better for certain types of work?

Craig

Not being a cheapskate, I use primarily hardwoods. The thickness is dictated by the project. I like to use woods like Mahogany, Cherry, Maple, Walnut and exotic woods like Zebra wood, yelloheart Redheart and on and on.

again, thickness is dictated by the projects. For ornaments, I’ll use 3/16”. For plaques and wall hanging I will us 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” and even 3/4”. For stand up puzzles, I’ll use 3/4 - 1”.

i have a full woodshop so I am able to mill my own wood blanks, but sometimes I will purchase thin woods from my local Woodcraft store.

I think it's best to let the project dictate the wood.  Some patterns specify a thickness, while others are more open to individual interpretation.  If stack cutting is part of the equation, then the thinner the better.

Hardwoods, softwoods, exotics and plywood all have a place and it's up to each scroller to decide what to use where.  Each of us have our own preferences, but largely there is no right or wrong choice.  The species will depend on what you have available, what is affordable and what you are comfortable cutting.

I like domestic hardwoods for most fretwork and I use baltic birch ply for things like portrait type work, mostly because all of those are readily available to me.  Exotics are typically more expensive and harder to come by.  They also tend to be harder to cut, so I only use them when I want a certain effect that is created by their unique grain and/or color.

I want to ask a question here that pertains somewhat to the subject. When you folks buy BB plywood in the full size sheet of 5 x 5 ft. how do you store it so that it stays flat? I had a sheet of BB in 5/16" thickness and cut it into 8 1/2" x 11" pieces just so that it would be manageable and stay flat. Since then, I have come to the conclusion that it was a mistake because I never have a piece large enough for what I want to cut. Being a novice, I never gave that any thought. So, how to store it?

I use mostly Popular a little pie on puzzles I use popular 3/4 inch. on christmas trees and Nativity;y arches I use 1/4 oak plywood.popular I buy from a wholesale lumber yard.It's all kiln dried sometimes I have to plain it depending on the project Puzzles it don't make any difference nI buy my Popular for $2.20 per BF.

IKE