Hawk saw up and running.

jbrowning

So I finally took a break from editing pictures to set up my new (to me) Hawk 226VS. I took the older Dewalt 788 apart to stored it so I could have the Hegner and Hawk as my go to saws. Well here is what it sounds like with a blade in it. Oh and the blade is a FDUR#5 if that matters to anyone.

Hawk Saw Running with Blade

Thanks everyone who has helped me with this. I'm very happy with it. Now I just need to get some more walnut and cut out more racers.

Thanks

Jim

PS Is there any tricks to getting the blade into the top blade holder? Or is it just something to get used to?

I will let you know what I think of it in a week or two. I'm planning on cutting on it totally for a week or two. Nice thing to me is that the Hegner is tall enough so I can stand up and cut on it and then when my legs get tired, I can sit down and cut on the Hawk because it is the perfect size for cutting while you're sitting down on a stool.

I believe you have the tension cam set wrong.. You mentioned it being at 11 o'clock.. but you never flipped that lever down to lock it in.. 

The setting it at a certain time on the clock is just a starting point.. what you do is put the blade in.. and adjust that back cam lever until the blade is just starting to give some resistance or tension at the  set time for the blade you're using.. then you flip that lever down and lock it down.. You do this with the quick release lever at the front of the saw in the tension position.. or locked down toward the back of the saw.. Once you set the tension at the back of the saw you can usually just use the quick release at the front of the saw.. sometimes you'll need to re adjust it if using different size or style blades.. I find that I need more tension with a Pegas blade after using a FD blade.. maybe Pegas are slightly longer blade or something but I always have to add a little to the Pegas..

Anyway, in the video you has that back lever pointed up at the 11 o'clock position and it should be locked down..

Sounded good.. anyway